Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

k this is going to sound awful

Posted by   + Show Post
But the more natural I become the unhappier I am... I feel less attach to the kids now. And just bleh. Not the breastfeeding part or the bedsharing part but trying the whole gentle discipline crap... or baby wearing. ( I have an ergo) but anyways I have such a hard time being natural with my 6 yr old. Sometimes I wonder if I should stop being natural. Ugh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Replies (41-48):
kfrog13
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:57 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL! Surprising none! But my hair is between chin and shoulder length at the moment.

Quoting FebPenguins:

So how much cupcake ended up in your hair?!! laughing

Quoting kfrog13:

Hey, I fed my child an Oreo and half a cupcake last night while he was in a carrier on my back. It kept him occupied and out of my way while I prepped dinner. Oh I wrestle him into his carseat too cause talking to him doesn't work. Do what works for you and your family.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TysMom102304
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I agree! I could never share my bed! I actually have tried on SO many occasions with each of my kidlets to share my bed, not gonna happen! My husband is lucky HE still gets to sleep with me! lol, but seriously - "natural" parenting is, imo, doing what feels NATURAL to you! The most important thing is to develop a beautiful parent/child relationship with your little ones and give them the best mom you can. You won't be perfect, just be mom :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Seriously, this.

There's nothing "natural" about doing something that makes you miserable simply to fit a type.

ETA- I don't think any of us are 100% natural. For example: I baby wear at times, but there are plenty of other times I find hauling a little baby around in the car seat/carrier more convenient, or use a stroller.
And the whole family bed thing. Way not for me. I'd be miserable having 3 kids in bed with me nightly or having to spend 12 hours in bed so they'll get the sleep they need because they can't without me. What's important to me is that my children's needs are met and they aren't left alone and crying, I've been able to do that by partially bed-sharing with them as infants. Makes everyone happy :-)

Quoting tansyflower:

i say ditch the stuff you dont like and keep the stuff you do like :)

orangeshirt
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:37 AM
This completely. I have every peaceful/gentle/conscious parenting book in the world, but they have nothing on my five year old who suffers from anxiety, adjustment disorder, and symptoms of oppositional defiant disorder. Plus, it's hard to apply many of the principles to my toddler who is speech and cognition delayed. I could sit and read "Hands Are Not for Hitting" until my eyes bleed, but it's meaningless since she can't process the words

Natural parenting should feel natural to you and it should naturally fit with the individual child. I redirect, raise my voice (what else am I to do while cooking from scratch and the kids start tussling over something...I can only be in one room at a time), I take away privileges since it is one of the few effective techniques for the oldest, etc. Some of these practices are frowned upon, but I balance it out with plenty of positive feedback and teaching them better ways to cope.

Quoting VintageWife:

Some kids are harder to use gentle discipline on and it makes you feel like a failure, huh? None of us in here are 100% Natural. Pick the things that work for you and ditch the ones that don't. Okay?

orangeshirt
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM
To piggyback on this, AP doesn't dictate a particular lifestyle. There are basic, broad principles, but they don't demand gentle discipline 100% of the time.

Quoting Autumn355:

"natural parenting" is doing that which comes 'natural' to you.

Attachment parenting is a style and its okay if its not your style

orangeshirt
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Do you feel jittery?

Quoting jconney80:

So true and honestly I've taken baby steps over the last 3 years to get where I am now. I still have more to learn and change. Have you ever tried vitamin b12? I started taking large doses of it and it has really helped my anxiety and depression. I take 12,000 mcg daily

Quoting Lydlou02:

I'm loving all the love and support in this post. I like learning about doing things natural and trying new things but sometimes that can also be a source of stress. Sometimes it's easier, (not cheaper or healthier, but easier) to buy a bag of stuff to throw in the crock pot. And right now I don't have the time or energy to figure out what's going on with my cloth diapers and my new washer that causes Tia to have rashes all the time. (I think stripping should work, but IDK why it's not.) So disposables it is while I focus on more important things like decluttering our home and our lives.

I also felt like a failure for not being able to handle my depression without meds. I've since figured out what I was doing wrong ( I needed more St johns wart, and I needed to take it regularly, not jusy when I was feeling really down) I may be able to transition to a natural regimen, but since I've started on this path and it's working for me I will continue as I've started. There is no need to mess with something after we finally figured out what will work.

piwife
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:36 AM
No I don't even take vitamins... am just really bleh about myself. I tent to take care of those around me but not me

Quoting orangeshirt:

Do you feel jittery?

Quoting jconney80:

So true and honestly I've taken baby steps over the last 3 years to get where I am now. I still have more to learn and change. Have you ever tried vitamin b12? I started taking large doses of it and it has really helped my anxiety and depression. I take 12,000 mcg daily

Quoting Lydlou02:

I'm loving all the love and support in this post. I like learning about doing things natural and trying new things but sometimes that can also be a source of stress. Sometimes it's easier, (not cheaper or healthier, but easier) to buy a bag of stuff to throw in the crock pot. And right now I don't have the time or energy to figure out what's going on with my cloth diapers and my new washer that causes Tia to have rashes all the time. (I think stripping should work, but IDK why it's not.) So disposables it is while I focus on more important things like decluttering our home and our lives.

I also felt like a failure for not being able to handle my depression without meds. I've since figured out what I was doing wrong ( I needed more St johns wart, and I needed to take it regularly, not jusy when I was feeling really down) I may be able to transition to a natural regimen, but since I've started on this path and it's working for me I will continue as I've started. There is no need to mess with something after we finally figured out what will work.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Sorry for the confusion...I was asking PP if she felt jittery from that much B12.

Quoting piwife:

No I don't even take vitamins... am just really bleh about myself. I tent to take care of those around me but not me

Quoting orangeshirt:

Do you feel jittery?

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting Lydlou02:

Autumn355
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM

you can take vitamins, especially B12 VERY liberally without any adverse side effects. Its not a stimulant. Your body can handle and process vitamins naturally because they are not synthetic and B12 occurs naturally in the body. When the body has had all it needs it simply passes any extra out. Take as much as you need to feel a diffeernce. Herbal remedies, such as St johns wort, are a natural substance so they work much better with the bodies central nervous system than synthetic drugs. However, St. johns wort, and other herbs, do not occur naturally in the body so damage can be done if you take to much. Herbs are generally safer than synthetic drugs.

Quoting orangeshirt:

Sorry for the confusion...I was asking PP if she felt jittery from that much B12.

Quoting piwife:

Quoting orangeshirt:

Do you feel jittery?

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting Lydlou02:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)