Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How long to bathe?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
mel
  • 21 Replies

How long after delivery do you wait to bathe you newbie?

With Ellie I think we waited 1-2 weeks?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I do sitz and herbal baths within the first day.

It's been soothing and relaxing for both of my babies so I don't see a need to wait, just avoid soaps and chemicals.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM
A few days. If that. But i only bathe her with water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know that I waited at all. Not more than a few days. If I'd waited weeks, I can't imagine how bad the "cottage cheese" from spit up in the neck fat would have been!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You take a bath with baby?

What about the stump?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

It's been soothing and relaxing for both of my babies so I don't see a need to wait, just avoid soaps and chemicals.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Yep, no soaps here either. Just a warm water sink bath.

Quoting jellyphish:

A few days. If that. But i only bathe her with water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

LOL!!!

Ellie didn't have hardly any fat on her to worry about.

Since she was so small she had a hard time regulating her temp and she didn't smell at all so i didn't rush it :)

Quoting larissalarie:

I don't know that I waited at all. Not more than a few days. If I'd waited weeks, I can't imagine how bad the "cottage cheese" from spit up in the neck fat would have been!

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Yep, I've done it both times now and sit in the bathtub with the baby. DS1's cord came off at 5 days (the hospital actually recommended bringing him in the tub with me while I soaked to help heal myself down there) and DS2's looks like it'll come off in a few more days too.

I hear a lot of different opinions from HCPs on whether to bathe before the cord stump comes off, but IME it hasn't been a problem.

Quoting melindabelcher:

What about the stump?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Makes sense. Youngest was so fat from birth, he was well past 6 months before I could tell for sure he even had a neck!

Quoting melindabelcher:

LOL!!!

Ellie didn't have hardly any fat on her to worry about.

Since she was so small she had a hard time regulating her temp and she didn't smell at all so i didn't rush it :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM

ahh ok. I took a bath with Leilani within hours of delivery but i was afraid to bath her until the cord fell off. All my kids took 2-4weeks for the stump to fall off.

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Yep, I've done it both times now and sit in the bathtub with the baby. DS1's cord came off at 5 days (the hospital actually recommended bringing him in the tub with me while I soaked to help heal myself down there) and DS2's looks like it'll come off in a few more days too.

I hear a lot of different opinions from HCPs on whether to bathe before the cord stump comes off, but IME it hasn't been a problem.

Quoting melindabelcher:

What about the stump?

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM
With my last two, we shared an herbal bath shortly after birth. I then waited 2-3 weeks for the next one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)