Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Should I feel bad?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM
  • 31 Replies

I think that grandparents should spoil their grand kids. So I don't say anything when we're over at the inlaws and they offer dd a cookie. Who cares. It's once a week and we don't have that stuff in our house anyways. It's funny because mil will bake cookies from the freezer (gross) but is so proud, like she spent 3 hrs baking them from scratch. Lately, she's been sending home (or bringing over) 4-8 cookies "for later". We let dd eat one while mil is around, but after that we just toss the rest. We saw mil 3 times this week. That's over a dozen cookies trashed. I was thinking maybe I should say something next time. I know I'll have to do something soon, because my 2.5 yr old is going to start to notice that the extra cookies disappear!

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peaches_04
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:51 AM
3 moms liked this
I wouldny throw them away

Save them in a tin and have dh bring them to work for coworkers
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nikzup03
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM
I would put them I'm the compost and not feel guilty about that. Lol. But that does sound like a lot of cookies! I would only be irritated because I like baking cookies (from scratch) and I someone else was always bringing cookies over it I would never get the chance! Lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Your dd won't miss the cookies you throw away. Out of sight, out of mind. If she does ask, tell dd that they're gone and change the subject/distract her. I wouldn't say anything to your mil. Take the cookies and throw them away when you get home.
KJH78
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM

You can freeze them and then when you have a need for them heat them up! Then if your MIL finds out she didn't get to eat them you can say no we're saving them for later.

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I would just talk to your mil about the amount of junk you want your dd to have. I told my mom my kids can have treats for special occasions and every once in awhile. They know I'm not denying them but not making it a habit and they respect that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd address it. Better now than down the line when she needs to babysit and thinks its ok to give her half a dozen cookies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
3 moms liked this

Maybe tell her that cookies are a grandmas house treat and please dont send them home

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I'd say something, and suggest alternatives if she wants to send treats home. We're dealing with something similar with my inlaws whom we see 1-3 times a week and the sugar is really adding up.

littlelambe2
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:17 PM

We have done this in the past

Quoting peaches_04:

I wouldny throw them away

Save them in a tin and have dh bring them to work for coworkers

littlelambe2
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I grew up on baked from scratch everything and that's how I bake, too. I can't even stomach the thought of store bought cookies or dough. 

Quoting nikzup03:

I would put them I'm the compost and not feel guilty about that. Lol. But that does sound like a lot of cookies! I would only be irritated because I like baking cookies (from scratch) and I someone else was always bringing cookies over it I would never get the chance! Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN