Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I be mad?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 18 Replies

So dd has a thing at her pre K called What's up Wednesday. They teach something special every week dentist, recycling, etc. Well this weeks topic was germs. They were taught how to wash your hands and to stay home if you are sick. They also taught them about vaccines. How good vaccines are. How they have fighters in them that protect you from germs. They then gave a fake shot to a dinosaur and the teacher gave all the children a fake shot. I tried to explain to my dd that vaccines also have some bad things in them and that's why we don't get shots. She told me her teacher said they are only good and now she thinks she is going to get sick because she didn't get her shots. I understand that basically all the kids are vaxed but I think they went way to far with this lesson. I want to go speak to them but DH ays to drop it since she will be done at that school come May. I know talking to them isn't going to change anything but I am so mad I'm not sure I can keep my mouth shut. What should I do??

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:10 PM
They absolutely took it too far and I would be pissed. I would talk to the school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM
3 moms liked this
It depends on how affected your daughter is. If simply talking to her about the other side and your views is good, I say drop it. If she keeps insisting and pressing the issue and doesn't understand or believe you, I'd bring it up.

Get ready. There are possibly a lot of things that she may learn that you don't agree with. At least thats where I am. Just keep having your conversations and telling her why you feel differently. With my vax-free, vegan, agnostic kinder gardener I find that explaining that some people do X but we do Y because of A, B, and C, she gets it. And she's content. I've been working with her for a long time that people are different and that's ok, because I knew stuff like this would come up.
It's the 'its ok to be different' lesson that makes a big difference. And actually, I don't even pose it as WE are different, but that SOME people are different. So she knows we do things differently, but she doesn't feel like she's an outsider.

I hope this ramble helps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM

My biggest thing is she thinks she is going to get sick now that she doesn't have her shots. I just don't want her to be frightened. It's a catch 22 I tell her to listen to her teachers  but then when they teach things that undermine my parenting it's hard to undo that.

Quoting jellyphish:

It depends on how affected your daughter is. If simply talking to her about the other side and your views is good, I say drop it. If she keeps insisting and pressing the issue and doesn't understand or believe you, I'd bring it up.

Get ready. There are possibly a lot of things that she may learn that you don't agree with. At least thats where I am. Just keep having your conversations and telling her why you feel differently. With my vax-free, vegan, agnostic kinder gardener I find that explaining that some people do X but we do Y because of A, B, and C, she gets it. And she's content. I've been working with her for a long time that people are different and that's ok, because I knew stuff like this would come up.
It's the 'its ok to be different' lesson that makes a big difference. And actually, I don't even pose it as WE are different, but that SOME people are different. So she knows we do things differently, but she doesn't feel like she's an outsider.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:27 PM
5 moms liked this
I understand. In this case you can use example. I'd probably say something like "some people think shots keep us from getting sick, but we do things differently to stay healthy. We wash, we eat healthy, we (insert whatever)." (pause for thought)
"do you get sick very much?"
"are you sick right now?"
"no, because we choose to stay healthy without shots."

Quoting JoJoBean8:

My biggest thing is she thinks she is going to get sick now that she doesn't have her shots. I just don't want her to be frightened. It's a catch 22 I tell her to listen to her teachers  but then when they teach things that undermine my parenting it's hard to undo that.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
But hey, if it bugs you this much, definitely go to the school and let them know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessica1219
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM
That sucks. But it's going to happen a lot. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

That is why we are home schooling.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Agreed.

Quoting jellyphish:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shadaly
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally believe in vaccinations, but I do think that, like all controversial things, people need to be aware of what they are teaching. 

You can try going to the school and simply informing them that you choose not to vaccinate, but their vaccinations keep you from getting sick lesson has scared your daughter.  Ask them to please present the reasons that people choose to/not to vaccinate the next time they present this to kids.

At my daughters school, it wouldn't be an issue because they require at least certain vaccines in order to attend.  Clearly since your daughter is going to that school they don't require vaccines and as such should remember that during any vaccine related lessons.

catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Quoting jessica1219: That sucks. But it's going to happen a lot. :/

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)