Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

So dd has a thing at her pre K called What's up Wednesday. They teach something special every week dentist, recycling, etc. Well this weeks topic was germs. They were taught how to wash your hands and to stay home if you are sick. They also taught them about vaccines. How good vaccines are. How they have fighters in them that protect you from germs. They then gave a fake shot to a dinosaur and the teacher gave all the children a fake shot. I tried to explain to my dd that vaccines also have some bad things in them and that's why we don't get shots. She told me her teacher said they are only good and now she thinks she is going to get sick because she didn't get her shots. I understand that basically all the kids are vaxed but I think they went way to far with this lesson. I want to go speak to them but DH ays to drop it since she will be done at that school come May. I know talking to them isn't going to change anything but I am so mad I'm not sure I can keep my mouth shut. What should I do??

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Replies (11-18):
catholicmamamia
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

One of the reasons why we homeschool is because there would be so much being taught that does not reflect our family's beliefs or values.. :o) 

Quoting Brandy85412: That is why we are home schooling.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I think maybe i would speak with the teacher, i would explain that you are not the only parent that doesnt vax and she needs to make sure she understands how it makes kids feel. Basically open her eyes, give her some places to look for info. When i have a child in my classes that has different beliefs than the majority i find ways to present things as not to worry them, scare them or confuse them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I would love to homeschool but I don't think Amaya would do well. 

Quoting catholicmamamia:

One of the reasons why we homeschool is because there would be so much being taught that does not reflect our family's beliefs or values.. :o) 

Quoting Brandy85412: That is why we are home schooling.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Unfortunately, our kids hear a lot of stuff we don't agree with. It's up to each family to teach why it's right or wrong.

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

NO teacher should teach that to children...I am a licensed teacher and I would never do that knowing not all parents make the same choices. 

peaches_04
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:17 AM
I would have the whole risk vs benefits talk with her
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM
I think that's inappropriate because some cultures and religions don't vaccinate or believe in it. I can forsee this happening to me if my kids are in public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I would drop it. And keep the conversation going with your daughter. You'll always run into people with differing opinions trying to convince others that their way is the "right" way and the only way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN