Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

How much do you spend on food?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM
  • 40 Replies

If you eat and cook with whole foods how much do you spend on groceries a month? Do you eat anything with sugar in it?

I really want to eat better. My DH is having a hard time saying its going to cost too much. So to start I'm asking him to look at the sugar and other ingredients in the foods we buy and try to find the best one. I feel our health is really important and what to figure out how to make it work.

Right now we spend about 400 on food a month.( A family of five. Are kids are young) I don't think we eat really bad. I don't buy boxed food but it's not whole food either. So much of the food we eat has sugar in it.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikzup03
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Usually between 60 and 100 a week. Avg being 75. Family of four (kids 6 and 2) I'm also pregnant with twins, so our new avg is 80. Lol. I eat a lot more! We're whole foods no processed (maybe some cereal, that's about it) right now though we're switching to more local foods. CSA for everything veggies meat and eggs. So that will change. Milk we also get local, but make my own yogurt. I'm going to try mozzarella and cheese curds eventually.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hippie.Gypsy
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I spent 75USD on a weeks worth of full meals, cooking from scratch, plus a few snacks. Bought most of it organic except when I couldn't find the organic, non-gmo. Nothing had sugar added to it... so if I used that one as a base price (as it could be slightly different depending on what I am fixing), 75 a week x 4 weeks = 300 a month. This is for a family of 3 BTW.

Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I spend $500 a month(dd and I love eating veggies raw so we go through those fast)

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM
About $350 a month for 5 people. I use some sugar but not much. I make most things from scratch.
Brandy85412
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

can you do our shopping? LOL

Quoting YzmaRocks:

About $350 a month for 5 people. I use some sugar but not much. I make most things from scratch.

YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM
No thanks :)

It is not something I enjoy but I do have a friend who would gladly shop for you. She loves it and is even better than I am! Last month she fed her family of 7 on $335. I have no idea how she does it!

Quoting Brandy85412:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Wow! I don't like grocery shopping either. Dh goes on the weekend for us.  He spent more money then we normally do for the week but we should spend less next week.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

No thanks :)

It is not something I enjoy but I do have a friend who would gladly shop for you. She loves it and is even better than I am! Last month she fed her family of 7 on $335. I have no idea how she does it!

Quoting Brandy85412:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

skylarkdancer
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Too much. Yall are budgeting queens!
Cynthje
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Arround $150 a week but i live on a small island and almost all our food is imported and expensive because of that. I dont use any convenience producs so i cook eveyrthing from scratch. We do use sugar but its not a lot and since we dont use processed foods i think its fine to use some sugar...i do try to use honey as a sweetener as well instead of cane sugar.

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM
We have a $400/month grocery budget for our family of 5. We eat home cooked meals that aren't processed box food. The food isn't as high of quality as I would necessarily like (not a ton organic, rely on acertain amount of frozen veggies & fruits), but it's infinitely better and more "real" thanwhat I see others eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)