Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

has anyone used LAM?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 18 Replies

What was your experience?

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
I have not. The only people I knew who tried this IRL wound up pregnant again VERY quickly. I know it's supposed to have a great success rate, but I always say I wouldn't trust it unless I was also ok with having another baby right away as well. If not, I'd use an alternate method of BC since you won't know who it does & doesn't work for until it's too late.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM
I was told its only effective if you do not go more then 3-4 hours at a time with out nursing. Even at night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM
We use it up til about 6months.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM
We used it and it worked for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM
It's also not effective if any of the feedings are replaced with pumping (like for work)
I don't think you're supposed to let baby use a pacifier either if you use BF for BC.

Quoting peaches_04:

I was told its only effective if you do not go more then 3-4 hours at a time with out nursing. Even at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I used it very effectively with my first for 9months and this time for 6months. You need to feed on demand and not go more than 3 hours without nursing. Give nothing to replace time at the breast and no pumping. Until you get a period it's very effective. It's very rare to ovulate first. Kellymom has a whole section on lam you can check out.

comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM
It has worked for us for 18 months
I got my first pp period at 17 months and I've been trying to use nfp
YzmaRocks
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I have tried but I become fertile again very quickly, usually. My last baby was half bottle fed and I didn't ovulate until she was 11 months. My baby that I completely EBF (no bottles, no pacifiers, bedshared, nursed constantly and on demand 24/7) I ovulated @ 6 weeks pp.
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Yeah there's a lot of "rules" and I'm not sure how long it would work for us. We already go 4 hour stretches at night.

Quoting peaches_04:

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I got my cycles back at 9 weeks with DS1 - ebf around the clock, babywearing, cosleeping, etc. I'm tandem nursing this time but hoping my cycles come back quickly again because it made birth control so much easier.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I have tried but I become fertile again very quickly, usually. My last baby was half bottle fed and I didn't ovulate until she was 11 months. My baby that I completely EBF (no bottles, no pacifiers, bedshared, nursed constantly and on demand 24/7) I ovulated @ 6 weeks pp.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN