Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Co-Sleeping with Baby and Pets

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 19 Replies

First time mom here...

I'm planning on using a co-sleeper that attaches to the side of the bed for at least the first three months. BUT, I've started a bad habit with letting my pets (a small dog and a cat) sleep in our bed at night.

People have told me that cats especially can be dangerous with babies (smothering them, etc.). 

I was hoping that we could all sleep together but not I'm not sure.

My cat is also 16 years old and howls at night if he can't be with us so shutting him out of the room might be more trouble than it's worth.

What should I do??

CafeMom Tickers
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I personally will not allow my animals to sleep with me when I have kiddos in the bed.  I try to cosleep as safely as possible and animals arent included in that

maddiesmommy5
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I did not allow animals in our bed when dd was little(still don't). You just never know what could happen. Our puppy is about 100 lbs so its a little different then having a small dog.lol

kiki2382
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:43 PM
We cosleep and our two kitties join us. But they mostly stay on DH, so it hasn't been an issue. I was concerned at first, but I was sensitive enough to wake if anybody was moving.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM
We cosleep with our 90 pound lab. She sleeps at my feet and baby sleeps (mostly) in my arms.

I have always had a pet in my bed since childhood so I am really used to sleeping with my pets. It may not be "recommended" but it works for us! :)
Char07
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM
We sleep with pets but our dog sleeps at the foot of the bed or on the floor and the cats stay far away from babies so it's never been as issue (and my arm stays around baby so I'd feel an animal coming by)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

We have 3 cats that we don't allow to sleep with us while baby is in the bed.  They're smart.  They learn.

(I've heard that cats are drawn to the smell of milk on the baby's breath, and that's why they are interested in the baby's head.  They're not REALLY trying to smother babies!)

illegallyblonde
by Stephany on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Our two poodles are always in the bed with us all. They sleep at the foot of the bed. We have a king so plenty of room for everyone.
CelestialSong
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Neither of my cats ever had any interest in getting near my daughter's head. I'm fairly sure the milk thing is a myth, just hanging around as a remnant of when cats were fed milk. They also never cared about my breasts, which would make more sense since there is always milk in there! Anyway, one of our cats does usually sleep in bed with us, and the other one does occasionally, but they both stay at the foot of the bed. In the early days, one would try to creep up but she was trying to get closer to me, not the baby (wanting to sleep by my head predated the baby). I slept so lightly that I always felt her when she got around my knees and shooed her back down. But that was more so she wouldn't step on the baby and wake her up than because I thought she was going to smother her.

But you know your pets. How do they sleep? Do they have a designated spot on the bed and stay there? Your cat might not even want to sleep in the bed anymore after the baby takes over - both of our cats used to sleep with us but the older one stopped making that a regular thing after the baby even though he always slept by my husband's feet and would have been nowhere near the baby.
ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I have 4 cats and when my baby was born I didn't let them in the room anymore..just to be on the safe side and also to have one clean room without worrying about their fur everywhere
jaybray310
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM

My cat is kind of all over the place at night. Half of the time in the bed and the other half of the time roaming around the house. I may just try to kick him and the dog out and see how it goes. They are pretty intuitive so maybe they'll understand.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)