Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

31 weeks with second baby and they want to induce me

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM
  • 32 Replies

OK ! So my daughter is 4 ( almost 5 years old) , and she was induced when i was 38-39 weeks pregnant . I was OK with it back then ( i was 19 , and didnt research it at all because i figured i could trust my doctors advice) , but now with my second baby, and being older and "wiser" i have learned the horrors,risks, and downside to being induced. They induced me based on the guess that my daughter was going to be to large for me to deliver naturally. she was 8lbs 4oz , they guessed she would be closer to 10. Anyways, i had no problem giving birth to her, she came out with a perfectly shaped head, and i had no complications at all except for some tearing and they had to cut me. They just assumed my pelvis was small because i am borderline petite ? I think i am pretty average sized, i have "petite" friends, im 5'4 weigh about 115lb pre second pregnancy ( 105 pre first ), i dont have abnormally small hips or abnormally large hips either. EITHER WAY , lol, this last appointment i went to they told me that they think it would be in my best interest to get induced again at 39 weeks to make sure that i can deliver vaginally. Well i dont want to . can they make me ? and if i am able to go into labor naturally, once i am in the hospital how can i keep them from giving me anything to push things along? can they force me to take pitocin?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

YOU have the final say in what happens to your body.  YOU are their client, not their patient. 

While it might make mama feel better to be finished with pregnancy sooner, it certainly is NOT in the best interest of the baby to jerk it out of the oven before it's finished baking!  Baby should be allowed to choose his/her own birthdate, even if it isn't convenient for the OB.

If you don't want an induction, simply say so!

Take a doula and/or a wonderful support team with you to help keep you to your birth plan.  If you don't want pitocin, let them know at the hospital.  They CAN'T force you.  The most they can do is try to guilt you in to it.  They won't call the police on you :) and they won't take away your birthday! :)

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM
6 moms liked this

BTW:  Inductions and other interventions statistically LESSEN the liklihood of you being able to deliver vaginally and increase the possibility of a c-section. 

The fact that your OB tells you that an early induction would be in your best interest makes me wonder what other lies they're telling their clients!

hapababies
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM
You are the boss, not them. Especially if you are not in a high risk or life threatening situation.
You should do a birth plan and bring it into your next OB appointment. If the OB blows you off, you know it's going to be trouble once you are in labor.
They should not force anything on you such as membrane sweeps or pitocin; but I have leaned that many docs will do what they want and get to be sneaky.
My best advice to you would be to labor at home as long as you can and go to the hospital when the contractions are close together.
Is there a birthing center in your area? They tend to be more natural minded.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Same here kinda, 1st induced for big baby I trusted dr (baby was 9.12 came fine... for an induction) they wanted to induce #2 I said no way she came on her own at 9.10 followed by 2 more on their own at 7.9 and 8.14, will not be induced without a real valid reason again :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

no they can't make you! tell them you don't want to. I am smaller than you and had all mine vaginally.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

No they can't make you do anything!

MissErin28
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I wish there was a birthing center in my area, sadly there is not . i was going to go with a midwife but my insurance doesnt cover it , and we dont have the extra $10,000 for her services :/ thank you ladies for reassuring me , i didnt like the feeling that they could some how force me to do it.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this

If they pressure you into making an appointment for an induction just don't show up :)

MissErin28
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM

lol i was thinking about doing that. but then i was also afraid of them dropping me as a patient. how the heck am i supposed to find a new doctor this late in the game, especially if they drop me around 39 weeks because i refuse to get an induction . ( This is the same doctor that i used with my first pregnancy. )

larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
No, they can't "make" you do anything! Could they do any other medical procedure, like knee surgery, without your consent? Of course not!

The logic of inducing at 39 weeks for a big baby is just idiotic anyway. At 39 weeks the baby is about as big as it's gonna get. They put on a few ounces a week at the end, what difference is it going to make to delivering vaginally if your baby is 8 lbs 8 ounces at 39 weeks or 8 lbs 12 ounces a week later? It wouldn't. If your baby was too big, it already would be. All the stupid big baby inductions do is "prove" that the baby was in fact too big when the induction fails...even though it's really just that the body wasn't ready for labor yet!

When they wanted to give me a "big baby" induction with my second, but couldn't before 39 weeks because it's hospital policy, that's exactly what I asked was "What's the point by then? Baby will either be 9 or 10 pounds or he won't by then, an induction won't help. If you want to make sure the baby is small enough for delivery vaginally, you'd need to induce me 3 or 4 weeks early to make him significantly smaller" Of course they had no real answer for this logic, lol. (And there's no way in helI would've gotten an induction anyway, let alone so early)

Anyway I'm 5'4" and have a medium frame. I've got NO hips, I only look like a woman because of my boobs, lol. I was told I wouldn't be able to deliver a baby bigger than 7-8 pounds because of my build. HA! Baby 2 was 9 pounds 3 ounces and baby 3 was 9 pounds 12 ounces!
I've also got a few truly tiny friends, most notably the one who's 4'10" and has a TINY frame. Seriously she weighs like 85 pounds and doesn't look overly thin because she's just built so dang small. She's had 4 children naturally and they were all in the 8 pound range.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)