Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

pink eye and an ear infection? help!! *UPDATE #2*

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
  • 17 Replies

My daughter (5) woke up this morning with a sore throat and an itchy crusty eye. So I checked her glands and they were super swollen. She had some decaf breakfast tea with some honey and a bit of coconut oil to sooth it, she said it felt fine 20 minutes later. We also rinsed her eye off careful not to spread it.

Fast forward to dinner and she started saying her ear hurt and start crying. I put hylands ear drops in and she went to bed.
About an hour later I go up because she is crying and her eye is almost crusted shut and her ear is killing her.
I got a warm rag and washed her eye off (rinsing a lot) but I didn't know how else to help her so I gave her some children's ibuprofen.

She has had only one ear infection that was treated with antibiotics, and 4 or 5 throughout her life that resolved themselves.

We go to a holistic practitioner, so I will be taking her in tomorrow, but what can we do in the mean time? My bff just dropped off an ounce of freshly pumped milk (aka liquid gold) that we dropped into her eye.

But what else can I do???

This morning she woke up and her eye was a little red but not crusty, and her ear didn't hurt at all. 
I put more breastmilk in her ear and her eye (and she was such a big girl, she laid still for me the whole time even though she was scared).
I think I will just keep her home today and observe her. I don't want to drive all the way to our HP if she isn't in any pain.

Thanks for the link!  

So I called her doctor just to see if he thought this was something that she should come in for. I left a message and the nurse called me back. 
She said that if it was really bad she could call in antibiotic drops for her eye if I wanted. I told her I was using my friend's breastmilk and she said "OH that is awesome, if you have breastmilk, you don't need these drops" LOL!! I love my doctor's office. They said to keep the BM drops up, 3-4 times a day, and then on Friday call back and let them know how she is doing.
I am so happy with her doctors office! YAY!! 

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM

http://healthyfamiliesforgod.com/2011/04/the-creators-natural-antibiotics/

Check out this site is has a bunch of natural things you can do. 

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Also you can try putting a cut onion with a warm wash cloth on her ear. And you can put the breastmilk in her ears too.

Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Thanks, I will try both in the morning, or the breast milk if she wakes.

Quoting Brandy85412:

Also you can try putting a cut onion with a warm wash cloth on her ear. And you can put the breastmilk in her ears too.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM
The link isn't working for me, but I am mobile. I'll try in the morning

Quoting Brandy85412:

Check out this site is has a bunch of natural things you can do. 

Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM

That worked, thank you! 

Quoting Brandy85412:

how about now

Mommy2justone
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM

BUMP for updates!!

Brandy85412
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad bebe is in on the mend!
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Wow I can't believe the nurse said that, that's awesome!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)