Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Going from hospital birth to homebirth

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • 33 Replies

Have you done it? I will be doing this this summer and I had 4 hospital births, fully medicated and pit and everything for all 4.  And now this time it will be just me and no meds of any kind.  I am excited but anxious too!  I almost dont know what to expect.  I have watched videos and read stories and seen pictures but this is out of my realm so it makes me nervous.  My last 2 deliveries I was not nervous at all!

I think the only thing that doesnt worry me is the after birth part...no one will take my baby, force bottle, or formula, or vaccines or whatever without my consent.  Baby will not leave me for any reason and that calms many fears of mine.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs.hartman12
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Yep! Best choice I ever made! I will never birth in a hospital again unless its medically necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dee0886
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Last 2 were at a hospital with the epi...I'll be doing this one MOSTLY at home but go to the hospital for actual delivery. I'm nervous but I REALLY don't want to be hooked up to this and that and limited to what I can do.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I hope to be able to come back in August and say that too!

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Yep! Best choice I ever made! I will never birth in a hospital again unless its medically necessary.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I know switching from formula feeding mom to a BFing mom was more of a mental battle than anything..even switching to cloth diapers was more of a mental battle..just wrapping brain around the info and going for it...same with switching to homebirth?

melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
I would imagine this would also be a mental thing. Your body has done this already successfully it is just the new experience at home.
I've had 3 hospital deliveries whenever/if ever we have another it will be at home
mrs.hartman12
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Find a midwife you love and you will feel much more confident. Make sure Dh likes her too. Ask for references if you want. Every visit she will spend a full hour with you to talk about any concerns. You will find yourself spending more time socializing than anything :-) also think about what kind of experience you want. I prefer lay midwives, as I am completely hands off with no intrusion. I beloved in trusting birth. Maybe you feel more comfortable with a cpm who has medical training. That's why I would suggest interviewing several midwives. Sit in a quiet spot and imagine your perfect birth, then write a list of questions for that. It seems overwhelming at first because we are so conditioned on a medical birth. If your on Facebook I highly recommend finding the page Birth Without Fear and read the homebuyer stories, and watch the videos.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I know switching from formula feeding mom to a BFing mom was more of a mental battle than anything..even switching to cloth diapers was more of a mental battle..just wrapping brain around the info and going for it...same with switching to homebirth?

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Yes although I had a drug-free delivery at the hospital (minus unneeded pit in the third stage) and I was interested in homebirth at the time so it's a little different.

You'll do great! It sounds like you have a lot of support and knowledge, and your body knows what to do :)

Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

And it is SO awesome not to worry about anyone taking away your baby or doing anything you don't want!

XMaybebabyX
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM
I would love the after part! The benefits are tremendous, good luck!!!!
ashleyrenee24
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM

BUMP to read the replies. I'm not pregnant but with my next pregnancy (which will hopefully be years from now) I'm doing a home birth even if it means unassisted. I've already had two hospital births.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)