Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going from hospital birth to homebirth

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you done it? I will be doing this this summer and I had 4 hospital births, fully medicated and pit and everything for all 4.  And now this time it will be just me and no meds of any kind.  I am excited but anxious too!  I almost dont know what to expect.  I have watched videos and read stories and seen pictures but this is out of my realm so it makes me nervous.  My last 2 deliveries I was not nervous at all!

I think the only thing that doesnt worry me is the after birth part...no one will take my baby, force bottle, or formula, or vaccines or whatever without my consent.  Baby will not leave me for any reason and that calms many fears of mine.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:37 AM

You will love it. Planning my second one now. I had a hard birth fot my first, 34 hours and five of that was intransition. She was sunnyside up at some point, but midwives are so great they just told my to lay a certain way and the baby turned. I would have had a cesection in a hospital. I remember everything, the pain, the pushing, the baby in my arms..I am so excited to do it again. You will be amazed how great you feel immediatly after. You will lay with our baby exhausted and in love and you wont have to go anywhere. 

It is a mental thing. Your midwife will be there for you to calm all your fears. They are full of amazing information.Once I knew the facts and how much easier birth is at home I was sold. 

tansyflower
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

i never had a hospital birth so i cant speak from that experiecne.  but i have had two home births and the freedom you get to experience is amazing.  my last birth is still vivid in my mind.  i just walked around in comfy pj's and every few minutes would sway through a contraction.  by the time i got in the tub (which was wonderful) i was almost ready to hit transition and within minutes i was through it and pushing.  then he was there.  in my arms.  in the peace and quiet laying on my chest with soft music playing in the backround.  it was really amazing.  afterwards my midwife made us a beautiful meal and we sat and toasted our new child.  really i cant imagine having it any other way!

just imagine all the wonderful parts of having a homebirth and focus on that part!  no moniters, no hoards of people in and out, no beeping machines, no restrictions on food of your mobility.  you will be in total control which will be AMAZING tabi!!!

FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I practiced hypno birthing and just kept telling myself not to be afraid. I didn't talk to anyone who wouldn't get it and I built a complete bubble around myself.  I will never birth in a hospital again unless I have to.

MegMonsterMomma
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

We're doing this this fall! The hospital was besicaaly a drive through for us. We went home when DS was 4 hrs old, and I was only there in labour for 4 hrs. I did it natural, but was stuck in bed because of a lot of meconium in the fluid (it was almost black) and that was just the worst. I was fine until they strapped me down :/

Brandy85412
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I had 2 hospital births then a home birth. I wish I had done all mine at home. I didn't have an epidural with my hospital ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charity987
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I've had 3 hospital births & will be having my first homebirth (UC) in a few months. I'm very excited, but occasionally a fear will creep in & I'll start to second guess myself. Then I just have to go back to all the reasons why I have no desire to give birth in the hospital & it chases those fears away.

joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I have. I had my first three and then #5 and #6 in hospital and #7 and #8 at home. With #4 I remember it all felt so odd. Like I wasn't really in labor until I got near the end. I like being at home so much better, but it did feel a little odd the first time.

mommy2be55
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

i think im doing at home its my first time it just sound better to me

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:09 PM

YEP got a CNM, he only homebirth midwife here in town, but I love her and shes awesome.  I think she may be a bit more hands on but I am a touchy person anyways and she backs of when asked.  CPM are not legal here in NC so insurance will not pay them and i cant afford a homebirth otherwise.

I personally have issues with he BWF page because of he owner..though I do love some of the stories.

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Find a midwife you love and you will feel much more confident. Make sure Dh likes her too. Ask for references if you want. Every visit she will spend a full hour with you to talk about any concerns. You will find yourself spending more time socializing than anything :-) also think about what kind of experience you want. I prefer lay midwives, as I am completely hands off with no intrusion. I beloved in trusting birth. Maybe you feel more comfortable with a cpm who has medical training. That's why I would suggest interviewing several midwives. Sit in a quiet spot and imagine your perfect birth, then write a list of questions for that. It seems overwhelming at first because we are so conditioned on a medical birth. If your on Facebook I highly recommend finding the page Birth Without Fear and read the homebuyer stories, and watch the videos.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I know switching from formula feeding mom to a BFing mom was more of a mental battle than anything..even switching to cloth diapers was more of a mental battle..just wrapping brain around the info and going for it...same with switching to homebirth?

bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:00 PM
So much less stressful to do it at home- no waiting for a babysitter to watch the other kids, no random nurses trying to check your dilation. Just labor where you want and birth when you're ready:) home birth is awesome!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)