Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

almost second guessing no epi.

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 29 Replies

So this is my third child(im about 30wks). My oldest is 5.5yrs old. My labor and delivery with him was easy. I was at 7cm when I went to the hospital, I got an epi because honestly I didnt know any different.

With my second 3yrs ago I was enduced at 41wk 4days. The contractions were terrible and sssoo different than the natural ones from my first. I asked for the epi at 4cm.

Well yesterday morning at like 1am a was woken up because of extream lower back and upper abdominal pain. Nothing lower though and no pressure. Well I soon realized that I was sick, you know the on the toilet every 20min kind of sick. Around 2:45am I had enough and went to L&D to be checked. I felt pretty stupid going in but I have never been in this sick during pregnancy and I wanted to be sure little man was ok. Of course everything was fine with him but they gave me the ok for Immodium. I went home took some and got about 30min of rest.But it was still terrible the amount of pain I was in. I was moaning and breathing hard, totally different from labor with my first.

Well about 6am I start throwing up. Back and upper ab pain were replaced by tremendous lower abdomen pressure. Not exactlly contraction feeling but a LOT of pressure like a bowling ball was hanging off my belly.

This scared me, because for me personally contractions trigger vomiting. I was actually puking with each push for my first child. So I went back again, and again I felt silly but wanted to be sure. Of course when I got to the hospital they only caught what may have been a tiny contraction. They put me on my side(which I had done along with getting in the shower and drinking water) and all was fine.

BUT through all of that I started second guessing my decission to not get an epi this time. I was not handeling the pain of being sick very well. I question if I want to do that again, I was so exausted and drained after that. Im trying to remember the fact that with my first my body prepaired its self and built up to that for almost a day and a half, that I was able to breathe threw the contractions and stay calm(which I did not with the sickness pain). Im also trying to remember that with my last epi I was left with a dead leg for a day and a half, with a slow leak and migraines and a huge bruise. 

I just need some encouragement at this point ladies!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Just think about how much more pain baby will feel if you get an epidural.

You can do it! The pain of labor has a purpose, feeling like poo because you're sick is just yucky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corbysmom531
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I feel the same.  I've been having some serious back problem, and BH contractions actually cause muscle spasms in my back, so now I'm terrified of back labor.  I talked with my midwife today, and she did her best to reassure me, but it didn't work.  They know I don't want one, but that I will probably ask for one during labor.  They also know not to honor a request for a transfer just due to wanting an epi.

GoodyBrook
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:39 AM

Quoting larissalarie:

You can do it! The pain of labor has a purpose, feeling like poo because you're sick is just yucky.

I've not heard that an epidural will cause the baby to feel more pain...  How terrible!  Do you have any info on this you can share--you've piqued my curiosity about this topic, now!

justone_jen
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:11 AM
You can do it. :)

We're pretty awesome creatures, and I don't think we give ourselves enough credit. There's a very real, almost revelation, when a woman gives birth. She is at her most primal, instinctively driven state, and it's incredible. I hope to someday feel that, without meds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Remember that regular illness doesnt bring endorphins...labor does, those hormones make a HUGE difference

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Heres info about it

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/09/truth-about-epidurals.html

this is what convinced me to go natural

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting larissalarie:

I've not heard that an epidural will cause the baby to feel more pain...  How terrible!  Do you have any info on this you can share--you've piqued my curiosity about this topic, now!

louzannalady
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The thought of vomitting and being unable to move while it scares me to death, because my uncle had a seizure in his sleep, he threw up and aspirated. So, being immobile for any length of time scares the heck out of me! I did have the epi the first time, after 45 hours of no food nor sleep. It was a very unsupported labor. I cannot say enough for having doula!!!!!!!!!! You can find one at DONA.org. 

Diatech12
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Remember that regular illness doesnt bring endorphins...labor does, those hormones make a HUGE difference

That is exactly what I'm trying to remember. I really think I would have been fine with my first and that I would have had him sooner. I went to the hospital around 11pm got the epi around 11:30 and had him at 7am after 5pushes. #2 came in 3 pushes.
I think I scared my husband though, he wasn't there for the birth of #2 which was more painful from being induced. He is reading up now on how to help me since I really didn't need anything with #1, I just walked breathed and held his hand.
larissalarie
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM
I think this:
http://www.drmomma.org/2010/09/truth-about-epidurals.html?m=1
is what I'm remembering when I say that.
No it's not some scientific medical journal, but what they say makes a lot if sense.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Quoting Diatech12:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

That is exactly what I'm trying to remember. I really think I would have been fine with my first and that I would have had him sooner. I went to the hospital around 11pm got the epi around 11:30 and had him at 7am after 5pushes. #2 came in 3 pushes.
I think I scared my husband though, he wasn't there for the birth of #2 which was more painful from being induced. He is reading up now on how to help me since I really didn't need anything with #1, I just walked breathed and held his hand.

BUT the epidural may have actually slowed your labor down..it often does so baby may have come sooner without it the first time!

Beig able to get up, move around and even use water(showers are fine) to ease pain helps ALOT, being strapped to a bed means pain generally.  AND birthing when you can not feel everything means you could injure yourself and not even know it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN