Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

the grain issue

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 19 Replies

I'm thinking of stopping giving grains to my son. This is the reason:

www.nourishedkitchen.com/against-the-grain-10-reasons-to-give-up-grains/

www.thefirstbites.com/?page_id=29

www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/

There are a lot of other sites, of course, probably some of you researched it better than I did.

Did anyone ditch the grains before their child was 1 year old? Your experiences? Contraarguments to the articles?I still want to find the original science articles. If anyone has links, please write them down.

I'm also worried if i have caused damage to my boy's intestines. I've been giving him homemade whole grain cereal (millet, brown rice, sweet rice, oats) half of the time, the other half commercial whole grain cereal.  I cooked the homemade powder for 15 minutes or so, sometimes more, sometimes less, although the instructions in books and online said 8-10 minutes. Now i think I should have cooked it even more, because of the little harsh bits that come from the bran.What do you think?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I think not giving grains is wise, especially before 1. The more I learn, the more I know that grains were never supposed to be a staple of the human diet.
I wouldn't worry to much about what's done, you can't change the past! Thankfully the human body is very forgiving, so if it was damaging, it will almost certainly heal itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Bone broth helps heal damaged digestive systems. Basically you boil bones (I've uses chicken, Turkey, and beef) for 24 hours and consume it. I add veggies and meat and eat it as soup.

My first got grains around 11-12 months. If I had known about the studies 4 yrs ago, I would've held off longer. My second didn't get any until her first birthday (cake) then not again until 15months or so.
The next won't have any until (s)he gets molars unless that's under a year old then we'll do at least 15-18 months, depending on what happens. I think waiting a year is a great idea.

Don't fret about what's done. We live and learn. :) You're doing great. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I havent ditched grains, none of us have issues with them.  If you feel it would be best try it and see how it goes

youngandtired
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Thanks for the support!  Being a parent makes me so humble- you always make mistakes no matter how much you try :) Luckily my boy has been fed solids for only a month and a half (he's 7 months now) and he ate all the other healthy stuff and started eating two meals three weeks ago. i'll definitely include broth and exclude grains and read more about this. glad to hear you're doing it to and validating it as an option.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

We waited on grains til 9 months..maybe that made the difference for us?

larissalarie
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sure waiting until later absolutely helped.

But just like a lot of things that people do and are "fine", the problems don't usually show up until adulthood and they usually aren't said be caused by grains when/if you do run into issues. Just like when someone who was formula fed is diagnosed with cancer or diabetes at 50 and the doctor doesn't say "oh it was the formula use that caused it" when they ask why, it's the same with grains. When someone is diagnosed with cancer, autoimmune disease, ADHD, infertility, etc it isn't blamed on daily consumption grains even though more and more research is starting to link many of our modern health woes to them.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

We waited on grains til 9 months..maybe that made the difference for us?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM
With my first we waited till just over 1 and will do the same with my now almost 7 month baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM

We've mostly eliminated grains for the whole family.

I gave DS1 grainsaround 6 months before I read some of the research. Our newborn won't be having any.

VintageWife
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I agree being a parent does make you humble!  I'm so glad I have this group to ask questions all the time.  Even your post with questions educates us, thanks!

Quoting youngandtired:

Thanks for the support!  Being a parent makes me so humble- you always make mistakes no matter how much you try :) Luckily my boy has been fed solids for only a month and a half (he's 7 months now) and he ate all the other healthy stuff and started eating two meals three weeks ago. i'll definitely include broth and exclude grains and read more about this. glad to hear you're doing it to and validating it as an option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN