Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I'm thinking of stopping giving grains to my son. This is the reason:

www.nourishedkitchen.com/against-the-grain-10-reasons-to-give-up-grains/

www.thefirstbites.com/?page_id=29

www.foodrenegade.com/why-ditch-infant-cereals/

There are a lot of other sites, of course, probably some of you researched it better than I did.

Did anyone ditch the grains before their child was 1 year old? Your experiences? Contraarguments to the articles?I still want to find the original science articles. If anyone has links, please write them down.

I'm also worried if i have caused damage to my boy's intestines. I've been giving him homemade whole grain cereal (millet, brown rice, sweet rice, oats) half of the time, the other half commercial whole grain cereal.  I cooked the homemade powder for 15 minutes or so, sometimes more, sometimes less, although the instructions in books and online said 8-10 minutes. Now i think I should have cooked it even more, because of the little harsh bits that come from the bran.What do you think?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Replies (11-19):
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM
This we are grain free

Quoting larissalarie:

I think not giving grains is wise, especially before 1. The more I learn, the more I know that grains were never supposed to be a staple of the human diet.

I wouldn't worry to much about what's done, you can't change the past! Thankfully the human body is very forgiving, so if it was damaging, it will almost certainly heal itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM
We went gluten free for a while, and i considered going grain free but changed m mind. I do think there is a place for good quality grains, however the american diet has everything backwards, so u focus more on fruits, veggies, protein sources and then grains. we also do milk, but i dont think its necessary.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mitzi31
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to wait to give dd grains till she's closer to a year. After all the research I've done and heard on CM I've just decided it's best and honestly there's no real reason to give dd grains. I breast feed so it's actually NOT good cause it can interfere with her absorption of the iron she gets from me which is not good cause my iron is natural and absorbed where the iron in cereals/grains is added (I think). Either way it's not absorbed as well. Of course any addd iron and iron supplements are very hard on their little tummies. Especially BF'ed babies.

I recently found out my mom started feeding me rice cereal when I was 6 wks old. She can't understand why I won't feed dd like she did me. (I was also formula fed). Of course I have had stomach issues my whole life. She's even told me how bad my tummy was when I was an infant and then on up in years too. I'll do whatever I can to prevent dd of having those issues.

Don't beat yourself up over it though the grains may not be a problem with your lo. Apparently they can't be THAT bad since the biggest majority of parents start grains at around 3 months of age and doctors endorse it. You waited until 5.5 mo before solid foods and that was great so don't worry about what's already done just go with what information you have now and decided that way. :-) We all have to do what WE think is best for our babies. I know people who feed their babies grains and have had no problems at all so it's not like it's always a bad thing. :-)

Good luck!

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

The first foods my youngest ever got was sweet potatoes.  although i found out that it gives him horrid gas (even 3 years later) so that didn't last long. but he didn't get baby cereals or anything during his first year. I just saw no point to it. he was breastfed and was only having food for the experience of it.

youngandtired
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mitzi31:

I'm going to wait to give dd grains till she's closer to a year. After all the research I've done and heard on CM I've just decided it's best and honestly there's no real reason to give dd grains. I breast feed so it's actually NOT good cause it can interfere with her absorption of the iron she gets from me which is not good cause my iron is natural and absorbed where the iron in cereals/grains is added (I think). Either way it's not absorbed as well. Of course any addd iron and iron supplements are very hard on their little tummies. Especially BF'ed babies.

I recently found out my mom started feeding me rice cereal when I was 6 wks old. She can't understand why I won't feed dd like she did me. (I was also formula fed). Of course I have had stomach issues my whole life. She's even told me how bad my tummy was when I was an infant and then on up in years too. I'll do whatever I can to prevent dd of having those issues.

Don't beat yourself up over it though the grains may not be a problem with your lo. Apparently they can't be THAT bad since the biggest majority of parents start grains at around 3 months of age and doctors endorse it. You waited until 5.5 mo before solid foods and that was great so don't worry about what's already done just go with what information you have now and decided that way. :-) We all have to do what WE think is best for our babies. I know people who feed their babies grains and have had no problems at all so it's not like it's always a bad thing. :-)

Good luck!

Yeah I was also fed when I was 3-4 months old. Surely grains didn't help regarding you were tummy sensitive. My lo is grain free from today on. He ate banana, chicken, egg yolk and now it's gonna be broth  or fruit for dinner. I can see he doesn't get that puffy feeling.

youngandtired
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

The first foods my youngest ever got was sweet potatoes.  although i found out that it gives him horrid gas (even 3 years later) so that didn't last long. but he didn't get baby cereals or anything during his first year. I just saw no point to it. he was breastfed and was only having food for the experience of it.

Sadly I've never heard of not giving grains to babies here in Croatia.Everyone endorses it and the pediatricians don't have a mind of their own. Thanks to a leading macrobiotic health food business everyone associates healthy food with grains. I've even rented a macrobiotic cookbook for moms and babies by a croatian author. Maybe off topic but our pediatrician regularly gives us little Nestle papers with the date and time of our next visit. Her office looks like an ad exhibition. I boycott Nestle btw.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Same thing in the US! :(

Quoting youngandtired:

Sadly I've never heard of not giving grains to babies here in Croatia.Everyone endorses it and the pediatricians don't have a mind of their own. Thanks to a leading macrobiotic health food business everyone associates healthy food with grains. I've even rented a macrobiotic cookbook for moms and babies by a croatian author. Maybe off topic but our pediatrician regularly gives us little Nestle papers with the date and time of our next visit. Her office looks like an ad exhibition. I boycott Nestle btw.

MyIslandGirls
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Grains aren't for everyone.. i mean we, as a society have a rather LARGE (and growing) population of grain intolerate people. so some people just can't eat them period.  So to me... giving an infant grains when the primary source of nutrition is a LIQUID substance.. seem a little weird to me.  that being said. I was uninformed when i had my 1st child and went along with the Pablum and rice cereals and such at 5 months of age. because that's "what you do"  I've learned now that grains at that age is basically just a filler and tend to have empty calories.  If you insist on giving  baby solids, then pick a more nutritious first food.. such as avacado or a sweet potato.. something nutritionally dense so that you aren't filling baby up with empty calories, which wouldn't happen if you breastfed baby for that feeding.    Does that make sense at all?

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My son didn't have any grains until he was over a year. Then only some rice until he was over 18 months. We don't eat grains in this house other then rice. I give the kids a sandwich every once in awhile but that's it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)