Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

CDing at night problems

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

My daughter is 11 1/2 months and almost every night for the last two-three weeks, she's been leaking out of her diaper-some night like last it's a lot.

We use OS Pocket diapers and I use double inserts at bedtime. She nurses the most at night time now, too though she does nurse periodically throughout the day with some water given a couple of times. 

Any suggestions on how to keep her from leaking at night? I'm pretty sure it's just from the amount of pee too and not from the diapers needing stripped as the diapers are very, very heavy every morning. I'd rather not do disposables since she's gone this long without the need to use them.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
McM0609
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM
The only thing I can think of is stripping. I've had problems with leaking and I started using calgon in every rinse cycle prerinse cycle and that has helped tremendously. I have hard water though. GL finding the solution.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Unfortunately I use disposables at night. I use the nighttime ones. I was sick of waking up in my child's pee. Didn't matter how many layers I had on him. Poor thing couldn't close his legs and the diaper would be soo wet I could ring it out.

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting McM0609:

The only thing I can think of is stripping. I've had problems with leaking and I started using calgon in every rinse cycle prerinse cycle and that has helped tremendously. I have hard water though. GL finding the solution.

We have hard water, too. We have a water softener but we're still adjusting it to get the right softness to the water.

I did want to strip the diapers this last time they got washed and forgot until after dh threw them in already. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM
That is how both of my kids were/ are. They nurse so much at night and they hated me changing them. I couldn't come up with any other solution to it other than disposables but sleep is a rare thing in my house and if it helps one little aspect then I'm for it lol. Hopefully someone else can give you better ideas

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Unfortunately I use disposables at night. I use the nighttime ones. I was sick of waking up in my child's pee. Didn't matter how many layers I had on him. Poor thing couldn't close his legs and the diaper would be soo wet I could ring it out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

We have found that we need to change cloth diapers in the middle of the night no matter how hard we try. If he wakes up we change him..now if he doesnt he sleeps in a very wet and maybe leaking diaper lol.  We found bamboo helps and when he cut back nursing at night it helped but really not much helped otherwise

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Yeah hard water meant calgon and tide free for us or lots of stripping

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Quoting McM0609:

We have hard water, too. We have a water softener but we're still adjusting it to get the right softness to the water.

I did want to strip the diapers this last time they got washed and forgot until after dh threw them in already. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

We have found that we need to change cloth diapers in the middle of the night no matter how hard we try. If he wakes up we change him..now if he doesnt he sleeps in a very wet and maybe leaking diaper lol.  We found bamboo helps and when he cut back nursing at night it helped but really not much helped otherwise

I do have some bamboo inserts. I may try those. I will def try the stripping and getting some calgon to try, too. 

She doesn't wake in the middle of the night too often, so she sleeps in it the whole time and wakes up stinky and wet, lol. I really don't mind it as much as dh does.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I buy waterproof pads to put over the sheet...and deal lol...yeah he stinks, his night pee is smelly

Quoting Cafe Jenn:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I do have some bamboo inserts. I may try those. I will def try the stripping and getting some calgon to try, too. 

She doesn't wake in the middle of the night too often, so she sleeps in it the whole time and wakes up stinky and wet, lol. I really don't mind it as much as dh does.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Hmmm, I was gonna suggest stripping.

I use two doublets in my pockets at night, so three inserts total. They are soaked in the am, but no leakage. You may also want to consider trying diapers with double leg gussets, I've found they prevent leakage a lot better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrumpyMama
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Switch to hemp inserts. They are WAY more absorbant. I use 3 hemp inserts with my dd and she is dry in the morning.  Either that or try a bamboo fitted with a wool cover, if she can do wool.  Wool is my sure fire, leak proof, overnight answer. 

Overnight Solutions

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN