Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Bronchialitis-Reactive Airway Disease

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

Ok moms I need some advice in regards to the above diagnosis. I have a 9mo old baby that has been coughing and snotty for what seems like forever. After some homeopathic treaments and supplements and no results I took her into the pediatrician. He diagnosed her with dbl ear infections and brochialitis (not bronchitis) He prescribed her a steriod, an antibiotic and put her on albuterol breathing treatments 3x's/day! None of this made me happy but my little trooper was getting pretty miserable so I filled the scripts and gave it a go. Now 6 days later and a follow up visit she really isnt much better. He advised me to continue the breathing treatments for as long as it takes. When I asked him what the effects of long term use are he stated that there really aren't any but also that albuterol is not approved by the FDA in children under 1yr of age but that nearly all docs treat with it. Everything I have found online agree with that statement. I am very nervous to give my baby anything of this magnitude for any period of time. Does anyone have any input of advice? I have read several places that "breathing treatments(non-Steroid) really don't do much..so why am I giving it to my child? any input or personal experiences would be appreciated.THANKS:)

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I have no experience but hopefully someone else does
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:25 PM
My oldest was on breathing treatments for a time, but she was considerably older (3, I think). Even then I was very nervous because the only person I knew who used breathing treatments growing up was the little brother of a family friend who had severe asthma. It gave him learning disabilities and stunted his maturity emotionally, which was apparently a known and expected size effect if the treatments according to the mother (per their doctor), bit it was that or risk his death from the asthma. He's an adult now and still incredibly immature and not quite all there.

I'm sure he was on far more than albuterol though! But that's why breathing treatments scare me. My daughter didn't suffer any affects from hers, that we know of. She's so healthy now, she hasn't been sick in over 7 years and she's an honors student at an advanced curriculum school.
You can't have your baby unable to breathe :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:28 PM
gave it to my dd at 9 months old i think we did it for 10 days. just think about this most natural remedies aren't approved by fda. personally i don't care what they think. What remedies have you tried?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I wonder if it could be a coincidence? Lots and lots of kids with asthma have autism. It's such a common auto immune problem for kids on the spectrum. There are even signs outside of the autism center asking people not to smoke near it because so many patients have asthma.

Quoting larissalarie:

My oldest was on breathing treatments for a time, but she was considerably older (3, I think). Even then I was very nervous because the only person I knew who used breathing treatments growing up was the little brother of a family friend who had severe asthma. It gave him learning disabilities and stunted his maturity emotionally, which was apparently a known and expected size effect if the treatments according to the mother (per their doctor), bit it was that or risk his death from the asthma. He's an adult now and still incredibly immature and not quite all there.

I'm sure he was on far more than albuterol though! But that's why breathing treatments scare me. My daughter didn't suffer any affects from hers, that we know of. She's so healthy now, she hasn't been sick in over 7 years and she's an honors student at an advanced curriculum school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:31 PM
A long lasting cough & stuffy nose isn't necessarily always a big deal. A cough on average lasts 18-28 days no matter what you do.

That said, have you examined her diet & environment for causes if it's been more than a few weeks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Ok disclaimer, I am no medical dr.  I do recommend looking at the sea salt water cure for yourdd though.  It has almosy completely reversed my severe asthma to the point where I went from 4-5 meds a day (multiple doses a day) to 1 rescue inhaler that I only use in an absolute emergency (haven't used in like 8 months). 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:32 PM
That's a good idea. Maybe cut out gluten and dairy. Those can cause allergy like symptoms

Quoting larissalarie:

A long lasting cough & stuffy nose isn't necessarily always a big deal. A cough on average lasts 18-28 days no matter what you do.

That said, have you examined her diet & environment for causes if it's been more than a few weeks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM
It certainly could be, but his mother said when they had to start using the treatments that they were warned that it would almost certainly stunt his mental abilities and emotional maturity. I wish I knew exactly what it was, but I was a teenager back when our family was friends with these people.

Quoting jconney80:

I wonder if it could be a coincidence? Lots and lots of kids with asthma have autism. It's such a common auto immune problem for kids on the spectrum. There are even signs outside of the autism center asking people not to smoke near it because so many patients have asthma.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissMia22
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM
My DD is 4mo and she also has bronchiolitis with an additional upper rezpirtory infection...they just have me suctioning and then when she stays congested or starts wheezing she goes back b in for a deep suction. if she is still after the deep suction then she gets a breathing treatment and so far she had only needed one treatment but 4 deep suctions...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)