Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What? Glad we are lactose intolerant

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM
  • 24 Replies

Got diet milk? In a highly controversial move, the dairy industry wants to market artificially sweetened milk—without any special label to alert consumers.

In a petition filed with the FDA, the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF) seek to change the definition of “milk” so that chemical sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose can be used as optional ingredients not listed on the product label.

If the petition—originally filed in 2009 and now under consideration by the FDA—is successful, these hidden additives could also be included in 17 other dairy products—including whipping cream, low-fat and non-fat yogurt, eggnog, sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and half-and-half—without requiring any special labeling.

The Truth about 4 Natural Sweeteners

A Move to Boost Kid Appeal of Milk Products

The dairy industry contends that using artificial sweeteners like aspartame as optional ingredients in milk and other dairy foods without any special labeling would “promote more healthy eating” and boost kid appeal. Currently, milk consumption is dropping among both children and adults.

In part, the petition states:

IDFA and NMPF argue that nutrient content claims such as "reduced calorie" are not attractive to children and maintain that consumers can more easily identify the overall nutritional value of milk products that are flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners if the labels do not include such claims. Further, the petitioners assert that consumers do not recognize milk—including flavored milk—as necessarily containing sugar. Accordingly, the petitioners state that milk flavored with non-nutritive sweeteners should be labeled as milk without further claims so that consumers can "more easily identify its overall nutritional value.”

The goal of the petition is to persuade the FDA to drop a requirement that milk and other dairy products be labeled as “artificially sweetened” if they contain aspartame or other calorie-free sugar substitutes. Last week, the FDA asked the public to submit comments and data about using artificial sweeteners in dairy foods. So far, there is no FDA ruling on the petition.

Currently, dairy producers can label products as “milk” if they are unsweetened or contain sweeteners with calories, such as high-fructose syrup or sugar, according to the Huffington Post. Examples of sweetened dairy products include chocolate or strawberry milk and flavored yogurts.

In addition, aspartame and other chemical sweeteners can currently be used in dairy products as long as they are clearly labeled accordingly.

Healthy Lunch Ideas for Kids

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2justone
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Lovely. 
We stopped cows milk a few months ago. It was hard, but so glad we did it.  

Duquesne
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
What's one more chemical?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM
gross
BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yep.  I read this article a few days ago.  Scary.  Thanks government for looking out for our best interests, yet again (insert sarcasm).  My husband drinks regular milk, but my son and I are lactose intolerant, and my daughter has a dairy allergy, so we stick with Almond Milk.  I would never let my kids drink conventional milk with what I've learned.  Hubby's another story since he's so stubborn lol ;) 

littlemonaghan
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

yuck. im lactose intolerant too, but i wouldn't like milk even if i wasn't.

yuck. our daughter drinks almond milk

reesesami
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:28 AM
That is filthy. Milk consumption is down because Americans are finally getting the memo that we aren't baby cows!
MyIslandGirls
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM

This is why we have our own milk cow.... if you are getting straight from the udder.... no need to mess with it.

907PickleMom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Whaaaaat!?!?! Is there a study about the increases in consumption of alternative non animal milks? Stupid government.
Sunshine_246
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I want my own cow so bad! Dang it, I hate living in the city.
Chemical sweeteners are disgusting. I am not surprised but I still don't get why anyone drinks them. I would know immediately that it was in there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I wish we could do this! Unfortunately no cows or chickens are allowed in a subdivision lol

Quoting MyIslandGirls:

This is why we have our own milk cow.... if you are getting straight from the udder.... no need to mess with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN