Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions about chiropractors.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 31 Replies
I finally have a health plan that will pay for chiro care. I have never been to one and I'm very nervous. I already have back and neck pain, and I don't need someone to screw it up further.
How do I know if it's a good chiropractor before I even make my first appointment?
Do you have any tips or warning signs I should look for in a bad chiropractor?
Thank you :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Referrals.from friends i guess. Thats how we knew
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM

referral is how I knew. I had one come to my house for my two day old baby. She was amazing.

tansyflower
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

personally i prefer a chiro that does good old fashioned snap crackle and pop adjustments.  i would stay away from anyone who is just going to use an activator on you since those should really only be used on infants and old people.

i would ask what methods they use.  i like a modified gonstead or a palmer pracitioner myself!  plus if you use those words they will think you are a smarty pants  lol ;)

tansyflower
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

oh.  as for warning signs if they say to you "i need to see you for 2-3 times per week for the next six weeks" all that means is they are trying to max out your chiro coverage as fast as they can!  insurance will usually only pay for a limited amount.  find out how many visits you get and then YOU decide how often you want to go back.  i loved the chiro i worked for because she would tell patients to call and make an appt when they started to feel crappy again.  if she really felt like they needed an imediate follow up she would schedule it, but 9 times out of ten she would just give a ton of self care and send them on their way :)

tansyflower
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

and ask how long their sessions typically run.  my chiro would spend 30-45 minutes with each patient.  anything less than 15 minutes and they are just a chiro factery!  you want someone who will take the time to do some soft tissue work and then adjust you.

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

call around. my new one is amazing. he is very genal which is a first for me. the last one i saw for years would leave me black and blue and i saw him every other day for a month at a time. thank god he did not charge me. i say just do your research talk to friends and family and go for a consult. if you are unhappy find a new one. good chiro care can be a life changer!

hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I'm going to have to look up what gonstead and Palmer mean so that I can really be a smarty pants. :)

Quoting tansyflower:

personally i prefer a chiro that does good old fashioned snap crackle and pop adjustments.  i would stay away from anyone who is just going to use an activator on you since those should really only be used on infants and old people.

i would ask what methods they use.  i like a modified gonstead or a palmer pracitioner myself!  plus if you use those words they will think you are a smarty pants  lol ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I get 18 visits, so I'm not too keen on using them all in 6 weeks time. I can understand the first 2 or 3 being back to back (in 2-3 weeks time) if there is a lot of work to be done, but not continuously for getting back aligned.

Quoting tansyflower:

oh.  as for warning signs if they say to you "i need to see you for 2-3 times per week for the next six weeks" all that means is they are trying to max out your chiro coverage as fast as they can!  insurance will usually only pay for a limited amount.  find out how many visits you get and then YOU decide how often you want to go back.  i loved the chiro i worked for because she would tell patients to call and make an appt when they started to feel crappy again.  if she really felt like they needed an imediate follow up she would schedule it, but 9 times out of ten she would just give a ton of self care and send them on their way :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:43 PM
I did start asking around and this one mom was going on about how her chiro only takes 15 minutes, and that is from walking in the door to out of the door. I'm glad you said that, because I thought 15 minutes was a good thing.

Quoting tansyflower:

and ask how long their sessions typically run.  my chiro would spend 30-45 minutes with each patient.  anything less than 15 minutes and they are just a chiro factery!  you want someone who will take the time to do some soft tissue work and then adjust you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hapababies
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I really hope that I can get a good experience and a life change, because I'm really tired of being in pain. I'm not in severe, debilitating pain, but enough to make me cranky.
Yikes @ getting bruises. I'm definitely not interested in that!
Thanks for your advice :)

Quoting mommytotwonow:

call around. my new one is amazing. he is very genal which is a first for me. the last one i saw for years would leave me black and blue and i saw him every other day for a month at a time. thank god he did not charge me. i say just do your research talk to friends and family and go for a consult. if you are unhappy find a new one. good chiro care can be a life changer!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)