Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Cutting out milk...

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 15 Replies

I've been thinking of cutting milk out of my daughter's diet completely once she turns 2 in May. My question is, what does your family drink aside from water?

I have recently started giving her 1 caprisun a day (It has helped tremendously with her constipation). She has about 2 cups of milk a day (12oz). The rest of the time, she has water. 

Should I substitute some other type of milk if I cut out cow's milk?

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuckermum
by Crysta on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

almond milk and vita juice.

i would sub with either almond, soy, or coconut milk. almonds our favorite.

larissalarie
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
There's absolutely no need for an alternate milk. Humans should get their nutrition from food and drinks should be for hydration. We just drink water here...and breastmilk for the 2 year old since he still nurses.

Caprisun is a huge step DOWN from milk, and I'm no fan of milk! That stuff is just KoolAid in a funny pouch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abigailsmommy11
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Like I said, the juice is because she had a recurring constipation problem. Which might go away after I cut out the whole milk.

Quoting larissalarie:

There's absolutely no need for an alternate milk. Humans should get their nutrition from food and drinks should be for hydration. We just drink water here...and breastmilk for the 2 year old since he still nurses.

Caprisun is a huge step DOWN from milk, and I'm no fan of milk! That stuff is just KoolAid in a funny pouch.

MDWife12
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

water, sometimes almond milk...why not cut out the cows milk now? :) I bet the cows milk being out of her diet alone would help with constipation!

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Are you cutting all dairy or just milk? If she is eating cheese, yogurt, etc daily, she doesn't need to drink milk everyday too. You could cut it out now. As far as no dairy, you'd have to make sure she gets adequate calcium from other food sources. 

We are huge dairy people at our house. Just not conventional dairy :) we just drink water or unsweetened iced tea besides milk. I'm not a fan of juice at all. Plenty of fruits and veggies can help with the constipation. You don't need juice. If you do want to do juice, look into making it yourself or buying real juices (which can be expensive)

MyIslandGirls
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Juice isn't really needed.. think about it.. if you need fruit in your diet (we all do)  why would you drink it, rather than eat it?

The constipation issues might be from her diet as a whole.. rather than JUST the dairy products. My son has a similar issue (he's 3.5) and we don't give him juice at all unless we have made it ourselves... which is rare. Constipation is the lack of fluid in the bowel.. so you need to ADD more fluid  to help it shove everything along. the only reason the capri sun is working is the limited amount of apple juice and the shit load of sugar in them.  I would switch to giving water or even a bone broth (not made with boulion cubes.. but form REAL meat) to help bring more water to the gut. Also.. fiber. but try and stay away from grains... try extra veggies, in soups, stews, raw... to help this issue.

Cutting out milk will help.. but you do have to replace it with something. it doesn't HAVE to be a different type of milk.. but if her diet is heavily dependant on dairy products and you suddenly take those out... well you are left with a hole. you need to find nutrient rich foods to fill up what was given by the dairy.  If you do wish to switch to a dairy alternative... then the one above are good suggestions.  also there is Goats milk as well.. or if you feel like it.. raw cow's milk. (although it might take some searching to find)

Remember.. these years are the building blocks of your child's life. how you fed your child now is how they learn to eat for the rest of thier lives.  So think of your child as a house.  you aren't going to build a home with substandard bricks and knotty wood are you?  No.. you are going to get the best you can afford to make the best house possible. it's the same with children.

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:18 PM
This.

My house is totally dairy free. We have water, and use almond milk In breakfast cereal (because that's my vice). But it's actually a really bad idea to rely on any milk for any nutrition after weaning. Nutrition comes from food.

Also avocado is the king of kings when it comes to constipation remedies.

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cynthje
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:44 PM

We dont drink milk, my kids drink water, tea and one glass of juice a day. i limit juice because of the sugars in it.

abigailsmommy11
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM

My Dd hates avocado, any tricks to sneak it in?

Quoting jellyphish:

This.

My house is totally dairy free. We have water, and use almond milk In breakfast cereal (because that's my vice). But it's actually a really bad idea to rely on any milk for any nutrition after weaning. Nutrition comes from food.

Also avocado is the king of kings when it comes to constipation remedies.

Quoting larissalarie:

Amycapl
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:12 PM

no dairy products in this family since DD was 1 1/2.  we use organic soy or almond milk but try to limit the milks in general.  Juice is like special occasion drink.  Caprisun is garbage, i hate to tell ya!  there are MUCH better juices if you're going to provide them.  as mentioned above, avocado works wonders.  and prunes.  and TONS of water.  

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN