Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

gas and air

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
  • 18 Replies

what are your thoughts?

i would love to see it used. 

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

?

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.naturalchildbirth.co.uk/pain.shtml 

sorry i dont know how to make it clicky 

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I've never heard of it! I'll have to look when I'm not mobile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM
It's not common or widely available in the US. I think it would be a better option than narcotics.

I wish TENS were available here too. So many countries have so many more options. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM
It's the same gas the dentist would give you. A nitrous oxide mixture. To help with pain. It does have some affect on the baby but not as drastic as other pain relied methods.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

?

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Oh hell no! That stuff makes you delirious! When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I was freaking PISSED because I thought everyone was playing monopoly! I tried to yell at them but couldn't, because, you know, I was actually having oral surgery done.
But man, I would hate to be in that state of mind whilst giving birth! I suppose it's probably a better option than an Epi, or maybe even stadol (which messed with my head too), but how would someone even give birth under the influence of something that screws up her head so badly?
Quoting MaryJarrett:

It's the same gas the dentist would give you. A nitrous oxide mixture. To help with pain. It does have some affect on the baby but not as drastic as other pain relied methods.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
It's used at 50% with oxygen from what I remember but I haven't read up on it since, gosh, I was pregnant with Serenity. I asked my OB about it, way back when I trusted drs (lol-that's how long ago), and he said it's not common in the states.

Quoting jellyphish:

Oh hell no! That stuff makes you delirious! When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I was freaking PISSED because I thought everyone was playing monopoly! I tried to yell at them but couldn't, because, you know, I was actually having oral surgery done.
But man, I would hate to be in that state of mind whilst giving birth! I suppose it's probably a better option than an Epi, or maybe even stadol (which messed with my head too), but how would someone even give birth under the influence of something that screws up her head so badly?
Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

?

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Quoting jellyphish:

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one whose head was clouded by pain meds...  :(  I had a shot of fentinil, and I simply can't recall my entire labor.  Kinda makes me sad.  *Next time* I'll go totally natural, as the pain really wasn't as bad as I though it would be.  (In retrospect I was in transition and just needed a bit of moral support instead of drugs!)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Yeah it sucked. I remember most of it, but a lot of it I do not. I do remember feeling very apathetic after she was born and asking the nurse if I didn't love her enough. Who wants that?! It's a MUCH better experience going without drugs.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting jellyphish:

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one whose head was clouded by pain meds...  :(  I had a shot of fentinil, and I simply can't recall my entire labor.  Kinda makes me sad.  *Next time* I'll go totally natural, as the pain really wasn't as bad as I though it would be.  (In retrospect I was in transition and just needed a bit of moral support instead of drugs!)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I wonder what % is used for oral surgery.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

It's used at 50% with oxygen from what I remember but I haven't read up on it since, gosh, I was pregnant with Serenity. I asked my OB about it, way back when I trusted drs (lol-that's how long ago), and he said it's not common in the states.

Quoting jellyphish:

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Quoting JoJoBean8:

?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN