Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Midwives, OBs, LCs ? Advice please

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM
  • 15 Replies
I'm nursing my 2.5 year old (he's deffinitly not ready to wean) and almost a month pregnant.

I'm not on anything, but I'd love to reduce my body's chemical burden. We don't eat the best but are working on changing it. I've added brewers yeast and probiotics to my daily intake, ds is dairy allergic so I'm limiting my dairy exposure (using fortified alternative milks) and want to add in green smoothies but don't have a blender ATM.

I did a google search and found many sites that say detoxing is fine and many others that say it's dangerous. I'm looking for a GENTLE detox method that would be safe for all 3 of us. Does such a thing exist? And if so, is it gonna fit my very thin budget, lol?

*I'm not trying to get thin while pregnant, just trying to get healthier for my babies and me. I'm going to start some light exercise as soon as I consult my dr (and I'll ask her about any detox options this post yields before doing them too, but I want to have the "possibles" list before seeing her.)

thank you in advance!! :-D have a great day!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaileysMom9
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I am not in the medical field at all, and have no experience detoxing (especially during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding).  I think the best thing you can do for your body right now is slowly change your diet.  Start focusing on more fresh fruits and veggies, and whole foods.  I personally don't think it's necessary to detox at this point.  Just focus your attention on eating as healthy as possible.  You will probably have the best results that way and without any risk to any 3 of you. 

As for excersise, I would find a gentle prenatal yoga to start with, and add walking when you have the energy.  Those are both super gentle and helpful during your pregnancy :) 

Hope that helps a little...

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I think the best thin is to eay healthy foods, and just add more fruits and veggies to your diet. It is actually recommended to.eat 7-13 servings of.fruits and veggies.daily! I believe 80% of.our.daily intake should be fruits and veggies, so however you get them, juicing eating them, smoothies are great! Make surr you are getting enoigh protein as well and that should be good, and some healyhy fats, like coconut oil, olive oil, flaxseed. I went on a semi detox when i was pregnant with my first. I had pupps (pregnanxy rash) and i juiced, added flaxseed oil, dandelion and protein shakes to.my diet. I took out sugar (nit fruits though) and the rash went away and i felt great!!!!
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Btw. Im not a midwife or anythng, that wss just my personal experience. I do.remember with my second child, my midwife had me on.a.deyox.like.diet though.
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I agree with these ladies. just eat healhty and drink tons of water. Moderate excersise is fine. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I wouldn't detox while bf or pregnancy. I would eat as clean as possible and drink more water.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
detozing is NOt safe when nursing..let alone pregnant
doulala
by Gold Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

No detoxing for years I would bet, sorry!  

KatieCat2003
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Thank you all for your answers so far!!

What about just adding a fiber supplement, like benefiber?
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Quoting KatieCat2003:

Thank you all for your answers so far!!

What about just adding a fiber supplement, like benefiber?

During pregnancy I was cursed with near constipation starting second trimester.  I can't imagine what a fiber supplement would have done to me!  UGGGG!  (Magnesium became my friend to overcome this problem!)

Magnolia7
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I think you'll find that the moms here are well informed on these issues.  You will also find that a doctor has had little nutritional education and will not give more than standard "take your prenatal vitamin" advice.

To reduce your chemical load you do not need to "detox."  Instead, eliminate the chemical and processed foods and stick to whole, natural, organic foods to nourish your body.  Eliminating dairy is an excellent first step, as commercial dairy is just filled with unhealthy things - antibiotics, chemicals, growth hormones, etc. 

Add in lots of fresh fruits and vegetables - this is really the best thing you can do.  Green smoothies are wonderful, but not necessary.   Try to eat at least one big salad each day, lots of raw veggies, and skip the commercial salad dressings.  I personally love to mash an avocado with lemon juice and toss the veggies in that. 

As for exercise, start with walking each day followed by stretching. You can certainly do strength training all through pregnancy and yoga can be modified for pregnancy.  Once you pass the first trimister you want to avoid laying on your back or ab exercises.  And all through pregnancy you want to avoid inversions/head stands. 

One note on prenatal vitamins - I really would not recommend them, at least not the ones that have synthetic folic acid rather than folate.  Dr. Furhman has some great info on the relationship between synthtic folic acid and breast cancer.  diseaseproof.com is his website and it has tons of info on high nutrient eating as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)