Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

More Qs about Brewer's Diet and preeclampsia

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 2 Replies

Day 4 of converting to the Brewer's Diet, blood pressure varies a lot but is about 120-140/70-80 and only 22 weeks pregnant. Brewer Diet based on this:

http://drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/id96.html

Some confusion I hope more knowledgable moms can help me with.

Protein: Brewer's diet suggests 6-8 choices of protein daily, and 1 oz of meat equals one choice, which has about 7 grams of protein in it according to what I could find online. At 8 oz a day that's only 56 grams, vs the 75+ grams also said to be needed to keep blood pressure down. Help.

Magnesium: Am I missing it? I don't see it in the Brewer's diet. Not much potassium either.

Lots of fruits and veggies are not part of the Brewer's diet according to this website- bananas, pears, apples- and there's so much food that there's not a lot of room left over for extras. Why?

So anyway, haven't noticed blood pressure decreasing any, but I've only been on for 4 days and I didn't have any whole grain -closest substitute until today has been split wheat bread. Took an espom salt bath too, time for baths are not easy to come by. 

And an interesting tidbit: I had a Chipotle's burrito as a treat. About 60 grams of protein and over 2000mg of sodium in my burrito. 

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
You'll get protein from everything else you eat also. If you want to boost it up to 75grams, by all means, do.

Whole grains are high in magnesium. Cocoa is too so I make my own chocolate with pure cocoa, coconut oil, and honey. I would like to get some pure cocoa butter to make it with but I keep forgetting.

White beans, dark leafy greens, potatoes with skin, and avocado are high in potassium.

The website would have a heck of a time adding all the fruits and veggies in the world. ;) They add the with the most significance. Fruits and veggies are about the farthest away from "no-no" foods you can get, so if you want to stray from the list, then do. But be sure to eat as much from the list as you can. I like to make all my meals include list only items to match a days intake and eat fresh fruits and veggies the other times I'm hungry, which is RARE because eating off the list is SO much food.

The reason it is SO much food is so that you get all your nutrition from readily available sources. Supplements are usually extremely difficult to gain use from. Most are excreted. Whole foods provide a much better absorption rate.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

To help stave off high blood pressure, midwife instructed me to consume 1/2 gram of protein for every pound of my weight.  (So a 200 pound woman would consume 100 grams of protein).  She also suggested I eat fewer grains and really concentrate on protein and veggies with a bit of fruit thrown in.

I found this A LOT easier than trying to follow the Brewer Diet, though I did reference it from time to time.  I ate a lot of beans and meat, plus I also had a 30 gram protein bar or drink on a daily basis.  (Costco sells a kind that has 30 grams, so I didn't waste my time on Cliff Builder Bars, though they were a bit tastier).

(One of my favorite proteins was Wendy's large chili at 28 grams!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN