Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

eczema and also a nut allergy...

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello

My son has a nut allergy whcih I have had confirmed by blood tests but I am still waiting to see the immunoligist to confirm the severity of the allergy. My family have been eating nuts and using peanuts in cooking and he didnt have a reaction so its probably a mild allergy..however..I have now taken every item of food and beauty with a trace of nuts of any kind out of my house. I want to be safe not sorry before he gets tested.

The immunoligist will also confirm weither the nut allergy effets his eczema.

Now the eczema. This came around 4 months old. I do not give him any dairy because this did cause the eczema to flair. all other foods we have introduced so far (tomatoes,banana,mango etc) have not caused a flair. I bath him every few days as per peadiatricians advice and this has helped massively. He has oatmeal baths. I use Burty Bee baby shampoo in his hair and their soap on the rare occasion that its needed.
He has 50/50 and diprobase creams for his skin and although they do help they are not perfect. 

He wears a scratchsleeve when I am not with him and when he sleeps. and when I change his bottom.

So i think thst all of it! oh I use fair non bio for our clothes etc.

Please offer up all advice on what I can do to make my boy more comfortable and less itchy!!

thanks very much for reading!

can i finally ask that if you have something negative to say about any of the above I would rather not hear it. I am only after assitance not criticism thank you 

good

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-mamas-
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Does he also have an allergy to coconuts? Coconut oil works great for eczema! I would check with his dr and see if you could use that on him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM
So you don't consume any dairy either? The protein passes into your breastmilk if you even eat traces.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:00 PM

It could still be dairy if you are nursing and aren't casein free. 

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I was gonna say coconut oil too. My dd still gets cradle cap on her head at two years old every now and then and cocnut oil works so good and its good for you. 

kiki2382
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this
You could also try get a Hazelwood neclace. There is info on hazelaid.com about how it could help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Solzy
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh it sounds really hard. We use babo botanicals oatmilk calendula lotion and shampoo. diapers.com sells it. A mom turned me onto it because it is amazing to help relieve eczema. I think burts bees has fragrance in.

I've also heard that not eating lots of wheat can help...

BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter started getting eczema flair-ups when she was about 4 months as well.  We later found out after blood testing that she had a dairy and egg allergy.  At 18 months she had the skin scratch allergy test, which revealed an allergy to peanuts (which we had already accidentally figured out after my dh gave her a tiny bit of peanut butter which caused welts all over her hands and face). 

My best advice from experience, is to bathe only when absolutely needed lol.  My dd got a bath about once a week.  If I needed to use soap on her body it had to be an organic FRAGRANCE-FREE product.  Unfortuntaley Burts Bees still contains some irritating ingredients AND fragrance, so if you could switch it would be better.  I loved California Baby products, but there are a bunch of other great ones out there if you look hard. 

My other advice is to do an elimination diet of your own.  Take eggs out of his diet (or yours if your ebf) and see if that helps.  My dd is 5 now, and while her allergies to dairy and eggs have lessened quite a bit, if she eats eggs too often (we let her have them sometimes w/out issue) she will have flare-ups. 

Citrus can also be a huge irritant to eczema.  DD use to get flare-ups if she ate too many oranges or citrus fruits.  She doesn't have an allergy to them, but for some reason it does affect her skin. 

I guess overall, just be really careful about what products you use on his skin.  OH, and in the summer... be wary of sunscreen.  MY dd breaks out in horrible eczema rashes and flare-ups with MOST commercial sunscreens.  It's terrible.  Even the fragrance-free "sensitive" baby sunscreens she couldn't tolerate.  So be very careful.  I stopped using it all-together on her and just watched her while we were in the sun and used cover-up clothes if she needed.  It just wasn't worth putting her through that awful rash :/

Connah_and_Me
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM

i only managed to breast feed the first 5 days

thanks very much for the replies so far!

we are waiting for the scratch test referral with the immunologist so i will continue to avoid coconut products until then but thank you. 

can anyone recommend a eczema friendly sun screen??

at the beach

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:53 PM
My son has tree nut allergies but not to coconut so he might be able to use it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Burts Bees products generally have milk or gluten. I'd try something without those things like California Baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN