Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Can I dry up from this?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
I got really sick last night and wasn't able to keep even sips of water down for hours. It's been about 24 hours now and I have eaten about 20 cheerios, half a piece of toast, and about 2 ounces of applesauce all day. I've been sipping water all day but haven't been able to drink much because my stomach hurts every time I consume anything. My boobs have felt empty all day. DD is still nursing and seems to be getting enough, but I'm worried if I can't start at least drinking enough water soon, I might dry up. Is that a possibility?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I'm sure it will lower your milk supply a little but that should be easy to come back from.  As soon as you can keep more liquids down it won't be a problem.

JaxMomma78
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
You won't loose ur supply. As soon as u can keep something down drink water and keep nursing.
Feel better!
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Dont worry. i have been through several.stomach bugs where.i could keep.down. anything and continued to nursd my ebfed baby. No supply issues from it. Feel.better soon.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Not in that short period of time.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:03 PM

You might have a temporary drop, but it shouldn't affect long-term supply. Hope you feel better soon.

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM
You might see a temporary dip. Just count diapers. 6 per 24 hrs and your doing great. One diaper is 3tbs liquid, more is 2, poopy is 2.

I hope you feel better soon! Keeping hydrated is just as much for you as it is your supply! Being sick sucks!
larissalarie
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM
No you never just dry up, contrary to popular belief. Keep nursing and you'll be just fine. The problems begin when/if mom panics and starts supplements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjrex87
by Mindy on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Thanks, everyone! I'm still barely eating, but DD is still nursing plenty.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

This.. try to stay hydrated, mama. Sips of real ginger ale, popsicles, broths, etc. Feel better!

Quoting Mrs.Salz: You might have a temporary drop, but it shouldn't affect long-term supply. Hope you feel better soon.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

TTC2Long
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM
I had two bad colds sandwiching a stomach flu last year. I didn't eat for about 3 weeks and lost a bunch of weight. During the second cold, I noticed a drop in supply and ds ate more solids. Within 2 days of being able to eat and drink, my supply came back like before. So, I think you'll be ok! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)