Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

unassisted-home vbac?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

Is anyone had or planning to have an unassisted at home vbac? VBAC's are not offered at our local hospitals and the midwives in this area will not attend one either. I asked DF last night about what our plan would be if i got pregnant and he said we'd try to have the baby at home by ourselves.

I was excited and surprised to hear him say that, and i think he's trying to make up for my previous experience because he knows how badly i wanted a home birth then.

How would i get started planning such an event? What books/articles should i read? websites? what kind of items should we start gathering? advice? tips? success stories?

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I know a lady who just had a unassisted birth at home after 2 c-sections. Just read every thing you can get your hands on. Really know what you are doing. Be prepared for anything. I know there are ladies here that can tell you what books specifically. I had a home birth last year with a midwife and loved it. We read some of emergency child birth handbook I think it was called. Good luck! Also she still saw her doctor. She did end up going in after the birth because of bleeding but she was fine and was able to go home the same day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
IMO The most impotent thing is to arm yourself with knowledge. It's not so much the VBAC that I'd an issue but you need to know what to do in any emergency and so should your partner ideally.

There are some great informational UC groups on here as well.

Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conejoazul
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I so hope you get the birth you are wanting! I am also on the search for books for DH and I to read since we are both hoping to stay home this for this one.  I have Kindled Ina May Gaskin´s Guide to Childbirth. 

I am sure there are other books worth reading, so I hope some titles come up in this thread or the one I posted last night.

BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Check out the "Birth Is Normal" group.  They have a lot of good resources and articles on UC's.  I agree with pp's, the most important thing is to arm yourself with as much knowledge and info as possible.  Prepare for emergencies and be confident in your decision. 

I am preparing for my 4th baby and 1st UC in July.  These are the books that I have bought to prepare myself...

Heart and Hands

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

and a Neonatal ressucitation handbook

As for supplies, I'll be buying a homebirth kit, possibly a pool for water birth, and some other basic emergency supplies.  Not too much is really needed for having a baby! :)

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

i would be finding an underground mw (they are out there) and a doula. I would not be ok with vbacing at home with no help. at least for me my vbac was very scary and emotional. educate yourselves and both take infant cpr. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of research! What emergency situations to watch for, how to handle them, when to transfer, etc. How to handle rare but life-threatening emergencies like shoulder dystocia and hemorrhage, and training in neonatal resuscitation.

Heart and Hands by Elizabeth Davis is a great resource as is Ina May's book Spiritual Midwifery. The gentlebirth.org archives have a lot of information and I also like midwifethinking.com.

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM

BUMP for ubac-ers.. :o) 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

outstandingLove
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Quoting mommytotwonow:

i would be finding an underground mw (they are out there) and a doula. I would not be ok with vbacing at home with no help. at least for me my vbac was very scary and emotional. educate yourselves and both take infant cpr. 

There are no underground midwives here. This is a small community.

mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:37 PM

look a little farther. contact ican they are always very helpful. most mw will travel to you. i understand the need to vbac but i also know how important good medical care is. where are you located maybe i can help you look. 

Quoting outstandingLove:

Quoting mommytotwonow:

There are no underground midwives here. This is a small community.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Good info! I would totally do it

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Check out the "Birth Is Normal" group.  They have a lot of good resources and articles on UC's.  I agree with pp's, the most important thing is to arm yourself with as much knowledge and info as possible.  Prepare for emergencies and be confident in your decision. 

I am preparing for my 4th baby and 1st UC in July.  These are the books that I have bought to prepare myself...

Heart and Hands

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

and a Neonatal ressucitation handbook

As for supplies, I'll be buying a homebirth kit, possibly a pool for water birth, and some other basic emergency supplies.  Not too much is really needed for having a baby! :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN