Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What crib mattress do you use or suggest?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 14 Replies

So I am 14 weeks pregnant and even though baby will sleep in our room for the first months, I still would like to have a crib set up in the nursery. I have no idea what kind of mattress to choose. I know you want a firm mattress that fits the crib without any spaces for baby to get stuck in but that is about all I know. I also know that you can spend over $800 on a mattress for a baby which is not in my budget. Ultimately I would like to spend $150 but wouldn't mind spending a little more if it's worth it. Organic or non-organic? Even though the mattress is waterproof, you still need a mattress cover? And do you need a mattress pad? I have no clue. Forgive my ignorance.

pregnancy
I want to be a breastfeeding, babywearing, roomsharing, cloth diapering, working Momma!
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I just used the one that came with our crib. My mother in law bought the set for us. I really don't think you need to spend even 100$ on one. A mattress pad is nice just for added protection. But I don't think it's necessary. Our crib mattress has been though 3 kids and it's still good. no stains. Firm but not too firm. And it fits the crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Matress pads make clean up way way easier if ever you have a throw up, diaper leak, or potty accident (since most crib matresses go in toddler and day beds.  We have two because then you are not wiping clean and waiting for the matress to dry. 

Quoting Brandy85412:

I just used the one that came with our crib. My mother in law bought the set for us. I really don't think you need to spend even 100$ on one. A mattress pad is nice just for added protection. But I don't think it's necessary. Our crib mattress has been though 3 kids and it's still good. no stains. Firm but not too firm. And it fits the crib.

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
littlelambe2
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM

We just used the mattress that came with the crib. Our first slept with us at night until 15 months when we transitioned her to a twin bed. She napped in her crib and only spent a few hours in it at night once she was over 9 months. Our second will probably follow suit. 

louzannalady
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

We did not use a mattress for DS1 until we moved him to his toddler bed. Then, we just bought one for $50 at Walmart. He either slept with us or in the pack and play until he was about 15 months old. 

monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I got a "organic" one from costco and it is just find. it was about 100 bucks. I say "organic" becasue only some of the materials are orgainic and some of it has to be fire resistant to a degree. 

we also recived a orgainic matress pad as a gift from babies r us.

Lydlou02
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM
I picked up a mattress for $10 at a consignment sale. It's good, sturdy and waterproof. That's all I need to know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela84
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Well I had just read alot about using vinly and polyeurothane and off-gassing of the plastics and toxic flame retardants they use and was more curious about that I suppose and finding a mattress without those chemicals and synthetics. But maybe I'm being a super anal first timer :)

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Most "organic" matresses are better with this.  Also keep in mind most kids stay in a toddler/day bed until they are 5-6 years.  You want something that will last.

Quoting angela84:

Well I had just read alot about using vinly and polyeurothane and off-gassing of the plastics and toxic flame retardants they use and was more curious about that I suppose and finding a mattress without those chemicals and synthetics. But maybe I'm being a super anal first timer :)

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
mjrex87
by Mindy on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I forget what brand ours is...either Sealy or Serta. We got it at Babies R Us and it had a label on it that said it didn't have the common fire retardant chemicals in it. That's why we got it. And we got a plastic wrap meant for crib mattresses that has holes in the bottom that allows the mattress to breathe but keeps her from inhaling anything directly from the mattress. I can't remember what that's called either, but it came from NZ.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN