Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

First time I've been harassed over not vaccinating

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 31 Replies

My 17 month old fell off of our playset on her arm and was favoring it. Poor thing fractured her wrist :( We took her to the ER in a smaller size town nearby since we knew it wouldn't be a long wait. The nurse asked if Grace had any vaccines and I said no. 

The Dr comes in and talks about her arm and what they are going to do. He leaves the room and comes back a few minutes later. Apparently he saw that she wasn't vaccinated. So he asks if all of my kids are not vaccinated. Then he proceeds to tell us that we need to be really, really careful. If they get sick at all we are to take them to the children's hospital because they will have more information on various diseases. He says "you know your kids are at risk for all of those diseases they used to get in the old days." By this point I was like wow really you came all of the way back in here to tell me this. I didn't mean to but I kind of busted out laughing and said "You mean the ones that don't really exist anymore?" He asked does your pediatrician know this and they're ok with it? I said yes they know and we are educated on vaccines. Then we just smiled and nodded. I couldn't even bring myself to say anything else just because there is no point. I just found it crazy that he wasted his time coming in there to "educate" me on vaccines and told me to take them to the hospital if they just get a runny nose, fever, or start throwing up!!! HAHAHA!

That is really the first time any medical professionals have really said much more than a few sentences. It was pretty funny! I never argue I just refuse to discuss it. One of our pedis is super cool about it and just asks if we have read up on it. Then our other one will try to discuss it and I just tell her there is really no point and we will vaccinate one day if we decide to (which we won't). They are really the only pedis around who won't kick you out or harrass you.

If you don't vaccinate or selectively/delay vaccinate do you ever have anyone say anything to you?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I think its funny and sad at the same.time that doctors expect to be put on a peddlestool and not to be questioned......but u guess thats what happens since so many do this.

Btw....i do respect doctors, i just believe they dont know everything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM
We vaxed on schedule until 6 months when I started looking into it. She was due for shots at 12 months and is 13.5 months and my bf and mom are starting to bug me about them. I am currently freaking out because I don't know what to do. I feel like I am putting my daughter's health at risk either way and actually bursted into tears today when I was stressing about it.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Right exactly. I totally agree. I do respect Drs I just found it funny that he wasted his time lol.

Quoting Precious333:

I think its funny and sad at the same.time that doctors expect to be put on a peddlestool and not to be questioned......but u guess thats what happens since so many do this.

Btw....i do respect doctors, i just believe they dont know everything.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Hugs mama. We all want to.protectbour kids! Havd you been to the group 'choosing not to vaccinate'? Or heard of the book "a shot inbthe dark'? Or visited www.nvic.org i believe it is. Maybe that will ease your fears.

Also if you are nursing, that is a great start to protect your child!

Quoting MissSarah04:

We vaxed on schedule until 6 months when I started looking into it. She was due for shots at 12 months and is 13.5 months and my bf and mom are starting to bug me about them. I am currently freaking out because I don't know what to do. I feel like I am putting my daughter's health at risk either way and actually bursted into tears today when I was stressing about it.

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Take all the time you need to research and make a decision you're comfy with. You have plenty of time so put them on hold and figure it out. You can always catch up but you can't take them back.

Quoting MissSarah04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Yeah we are nursing still and will be until she weans on her own. I joined educate before you vaccinate. Today I told my bf that we can always give the shots layer but can never take them back so that bought me a little time. I just used to really trust doctors but have recently learned how much of a business healthcare is and have been told such incorrect info by docs and peds in the last year (including pushing formula and being told I wasn't pumping enough since I work full time). Now I don't know who to believe but I have already fired every ped we have seen and have fought with two over breastfeeding and solids.

Quoting Precious333:

Hugs mama. We all want to.protectbour kids! Havd you been to the group 'choosing not to vaccinate'? Or heard of the book "a shot inbthe dark'? Or visited www.nvic.org i believe it is. Maybe that will ease your fears.

Also if you are nursing, that is a great start to protect your child!

Quoting MissSarah04:

MissSarah04
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Thank you =). This is pretty much what I told my bf today and it bought me some time to research and decide/convince him.

Quoting jconney80:

Take all the time you need to research and make a decision you're comfy with. You have plenty of time so put them on hold and figure it out. You can always catch up but you can't take them back.

Quoting MissSarah04:

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM
You're welcome =) I understand. I was scared when my son was 2 months old. I let the nurses bully me because I was not educated yet and had just literally learned that vaccines could be bad like the night before his appointment. I was not strong enough to say no. By the next appointment I said no and am so glad I followed my gut instinct. I didn't know my son would be autistic. He would probably be much worse off if I hadn't stopped.

Quoting MissSarah04:

Thank you =). This is pretty much what I told my bf today and it bought me some time to research and decide/convince him.

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting MissSarah04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Aww, I'm sorry she broke her wrist! Btw, I can't believe she's almost 1.5 already! You must have had her right after I joined CM.

That's pretty silly stuff for an ER doc to be hassling you about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Thanks! It was so sad. And I know I can't believe she's that old already either! And I thought you were a veteran member lol

Quoting larissalarie:

Aww, I'm sorry she broke her wrist! Btw, I can't believe she's almost 1.5 already! You must have had her right after I joined CM.

That's pretty silly stuff for an ER doc to be hassling you about.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN