Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Curious question about hospital delivery

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 40 Replies
I'm going to deliver in a hospital. I'm going natural. For those who have had natural birth in a hospital, in what position did you deliver? I don't want to be on my back when I deliver. Thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama2my2boys
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:45 AM
I was on my back all 3 times and the longest I pushed was 15min
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:53 AM

With my first, I was standing on the floor with one knee up on the bed. No one but myself and my mother were in the room when baby crowned, so mom helped me ease up onto the bed to slow the decent. Nurses and doc came busting in the room seconds later and I gave one last push in a reclined sitting position. With my second, I used a squatting bar that was attached to the bed.

go on a hospital tour and find out what equipment is offered and what positions are common. At the hospital I delivered at, in addition to stirrups, they had squatting bars and birthing stools. Talk with your doctor to see what positions s/he feels comfortable assisting delivery in. Of course, whatever way you decide should be honored. But at least you know what you're up against. The only hard fast rule for my doc and hospital was no birthing in the tubs. Anything else seemed fair game. 

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I've had two amazing natural births in the hospital. I can pm you my birth stories, if you want. 

prettymommylove
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I was on my hands and knees, face in the pillow with an oxgen mask on when I delivered, the gravity helped since she was sunny side up. the coolest thing I have ever felt was her skull squeezing as it came through the birth canal.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Sure that would be great thanks!

Quoting littlelambe2:

I've had two amazing natural births in the hospital. I can pm you my birth stories, if you want. 

TTC2Long
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:01 AM
I was on my left side with the back of the bed raised and my right knee up, foot flat on the bed. Before that I had spent time in a forward-leaning inversion with the foot of the bed lowered and squatting up against the raised head of the bed. I had to be continuously monitored and on oxygen, but it didn't impede me utilizing alternate positions. NOT delivering on my back was in my birth plan.
annelauer
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Unfortunately, when I delivered in the hospital, even though my birth plan specified otherwise, I was forced to lay on my back with my feet in stirrups. It was awful! I got through it though. And home birthed after that.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:07 AM

The nurse tried to get me on my hands and knees, but I didn't want my nude bum facing the middle of the room.  I was pretty self conscious and wanted to have my rear facing the head of the bed, but the nurse said that the OB couldn't catch the baby that way.  So I went into a very upright, seated position.  Honestly I had no idea that the baby could come out of me with me sitting down on the bed, but he sure did!  :)

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:23 AM
With my first I was forced on my back from squatting at the last minute.

With my second I delivered on all fours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:25 AM
I was on my back by choice. I thought I wanted to squat so they set the bar up for me, but when the time came the most comfortable position was on my back.

I had a wonderful natural hospital birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)