Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Pitocin linked to Newborn Jaundice **update**

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: If you had Pitocin during your labor, did your LO become jaundiced?

Options:

I had Pitocin and my LO had jaundice

I had Pitocin but my LO did not have jaundice

I did not have Pitocin and my LO had jaundice

I did not have Pitocin and my LO did not have jaundice

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 77

View Results

Liver Disease in Children

By Frederick J. Suchy, Ronald J. Sokol, William F. Balistreri

Page 280

Induction of labor with oxytocin has been shown to be associated with neonatal jaundice.  There is a significant association between hyponatremia and jaundice in infants of mothers who received oxytocin to induce labor [209,210].  The vasopressin-like action of oxytocin prompts electrolyte and water transport such that the erythrocyte swells and increased osmotic fragility and hyperbilirubinemia may result.  Steroid administration at the initiation of oxytocin and 4 hours later may be helpful in preventing this hyperbilirubinemia [211].

I learned today that the use of Pitocin in labor has been linked to jaundice in newborns. 

Not one nurse, OB, or midwife ever mentioned this risk to me! 

I'm curious if mamas in this group have seen a connection in their personal experience...

It appears some group members believe I am spreading lies and propaganda by sharing there is a slight link between newborn jaundice and the use of synthetic oxytocin during labor.

To address their concerns:  *** Please understand that neonatal jaundice can be caused by many factors, not just the use of Pitocin during labor. ***

Let the poll continue! :)

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Replies (61-69):
Chasesmum3109
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I wasn't being rude or anything, I was stating my opinion, but since it didn't agree with yours I'm some how coping an attitude or losing respect? Hmm awesome analogy.

Quoting Magnolia7:

Fantastic.  You are certainly welcome to stop posting respsonses to this post.  I would ask that in the future you respond to posts with respect and consideration and realize that not all moms take or unswervingly trust a medicalized approach (hence the "natural" in the title). 

It's always ok to have a different opinion, but important to remember that this is a friendly and supportive group and to keep that vibe in replies.  Have a great evening. :)

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Ok listen, idc about this topic anymore I said what needed to be said and that's that, I'm done talking so please stop quoting me thanks.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Magnolia7
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I thought you were done?  

Your responses have been very rude to GoodyBrook, which is why I said something.  It has nothing to do with having a different opinion and everything to do with the tone and condescencion.  Simply not necessary.   Your posts seem to indicate that because this subject did not interest you, it should not be posted, the group member should be harassed, and your opinion is the only correct one as you are an RN.

This is a lovely group, and I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that you will no longer respond to posts with such vitriol.   If it doesn't interest you, it'd be simpler and more polite to ignore.

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

I wasn't being rude or anything, I was stating my opinion, but since it didn't agree with yours I'm some how coping an attitude or losing respect? Hmm awesome analogy.

Quoting Magnolia7:

Fantastic.  You are certainly welcome to stop posting respsonses to this post.  I would ask that in the future you respond to posts with respect and consideration and realize that not all moms take or unswervingly trust a medicalized approach (hence the "natural" in the title). 

It's always ok to have a different opinion, but important to remember that this is a friendly and supportive group and to keep that vibe in replies.  Have a great evening. :)

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Ok listen, idc about this topic anymore I said what needed to be said and that's that, I'm done talking so please stop quoting me thanks.

Chasesmum3109
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Oh it does interest me, very much so.

Quoting Magnolia7:

I thought you were done?  

Your responses have been very rude to GoodyBrook, which is why I said something.  It has nothing to do with having a different opinion and everything to do with the tone and condescencion.  Simply not necessary.   Your posts seem to indicate that because this subject did not interest you, it should not be posted, the group member should be harassed, and your opinion is the only correct one as you are an RN.

This is a lovely group, and I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that you will no longer respond to posts with such vitriol.   If it doesn't interest you, it'd be simpler and more polite to ignore.

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Quoting Magnolia7:

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Magnolia7
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Ok, it seems you are intent on being rude and harassing others.  :)    Bless your heart. 

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

Chasesmum3109
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Lol ok?

Quoting Magnolia7:

Ok, it seems you are intent on being rude and harassing others.  :)    Bless your heart. 

Quoting Chasesmum3109:

ashuiren
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I had Pit with both and both my boys were jaundiced, although not enough to do anything other than keep an eye on it for a few days. I do know that many babies in my family are jaundiced at birth and not all were induced, so I'm not sure if there's something else causing it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

WOW well I dont think you are spreading lies..I have seen studies on this actually

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WOW well I dont think you are spreading lies..I have seen studies on this actually

This is the first report I'd seen about it. If you are able to locate the studies you've seen, could you post a link here or PM me with them?  Thanks!

piwife
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:35 PM
All my kids had jandice. The most severe one was actually my natural birth baby
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)