Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

I know it's yahoo... piog

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
  • 11 Replies

but this is describing a medical journal that was published Nov 2012.

It's quite the opposite of everything I've learned thus far about allergies with my kids, though makes sense considering it's the same concept as taking allergy shots and such.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/prevent-kids-food-allergies-start-peanuts-eggs-sooner

If you'd rather skip over the media article and go straight to the facts... here's what the yahoo article is talking about.

http://www.jaci-inpractice.org/article/S2213-2198(12)00014-1/fulltext

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Yeah this article was confusing, I wont give peanuts early because if there IS a reaction then they cant tell me!

VintageWife
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I wouldn't start any main allergy foods before my kid could talk. I need them to tell me if anything is wrong.

sj3starz
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:58 AM

If that's what you do, then great! I wasn't putting an emphasis towards any style of parenting. Just found the article interesting! :-)

Quoting VintageWife:

I wouldn't start any main allergy foods before my kid could talk. I need them to tell me if anything is wrong.

VintageWife
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL...I didn't think you were pushing it. I was just thinking outloud :) 

Quoting sj3starz:

If that's what you do, then great! I wasn't putting an emphasis towards any style of parenting. Just found the article interesting! :-)

Quoting VintageWife:

sj3starz
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I got a little confused by the yahoo article at first. I had to reread it again and again slowly. haha That's why I posted the JACI article with it. :-) I started slowly introducing my dd to nuts when she was a year. Now at 15 months I am comfortable with giving her peanut butter.

She can't talk, but I just keep an eye on her when trying new things. Same goes for any new food!

Also, as I said to the other poster, this wasn't meant to be me pushing anything on other parents. If you wait, great! If not, that's good too. :-)

I don't think anyone would delay/start a food with the HOPES of being detrimental, ykwim?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Yeah this article was confusing, I wont give peanuts early because if there IS a reaction then they cant tell me!

peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Same

Quoting VintageWife:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Intersting article tfs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:37 PM

They were talking about this on the radio today. They were making it sound like there'd be less food allergies these days if people started common allergy foods at 5 or 6 months.

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Science annoys me. Look at how adults of this generation were fed as babies. I bet avoiding high allergen foods is just one of many differences. Perhaps they should also look at formula use, chemical exposure, air pollutants, quality/nutrition of foods, etc. those could have just as much of an effect on allergens, if not more so, than delaying allergen foods. I hate it how science prematurely points fingers. It seems you can find a study to prove just about anything. 

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I wouldn't introduce any major allergens early ever. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)