Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

probiotics

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm breastfeeding my 2 month old and am wondering if I take a probiotic will it help my baby as well? Or should he take his own probiotic? Also what is a good one to take that is dairy free? I used to use activia yogurt, but my baby doesn't handle dairy in my diet, and he's already colicky, so I need to avoid yogurt this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know it gets in your milk. I assume your milk naturally has lots since its found in dairy products.

But unless there's a strong need, I wouldn't give him anything orally if he's ebf, it will mess up his virgin gut and calls cause lots of tummy problems.

But I can recommend a good one. It's culturelle, it's dairy and gluten free and it's the one my nd recommends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytotwonow
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM

sense i have been taking papaya digestive enzymes my lo has been going very well and easy lol. they are great!

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Some babies do respond to probiotics taken by mom, some do not. No harm in trying. I would not offer probiotics to baby before six months. I like culturelle.  Mine comes from Target.

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally wouldn't give my EBF baby anything, including probiotic supplements, until s/he's eating food.

I've had great luck with kefir, but you said you need "dairy free," right?  What about Kombucha?  Here's a site that explains it fairly well, if you haven't heard of it before:

http://deliciouslyorganic.net/kombucha-and-a-giveaway/

I prefer NOT to take supplements due to the expense--some are over $1 per day!  If I can "breed" my own at home for pennies, why not?!  My kefir costs nothing more than the milk I use each day.  Kombucha would be even cheaper, as it's water-based.

milk_mom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I take a probiotic and prenatal vitamins. i read somewhere online that it helps the mothers immune system and well as the baby

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I was told probiotics don't go into your bm. 

kiki2382
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:19 AM
It couldn't hurt to try yourself, but not for the baby.

A little ot, but have you brought your lo to the chiropractor? If not, it could help with the colic (just make sure you find one certified in pediatric chiro) :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I take probiotics and have some to my son when he had thrush. The ones i getvare from.sprouts or whole foods, and are dairy free powdered.probiotixs you keep in the fridge.
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep!!! The chiro helped us for our first who had.colic, projectile vomiting and alignment was very off!

Quoting kiki2382:

It couldn't hurt to try yourself, but not for the baby.

A little ot, but have you brought your lo to the chiropractor? If not, it could help with the colic (just make sure you find one certified in pediatric chiro) :-)

VintageWife
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Some babies do respond to probiotics taken by mom, some do not. No harm in trying. I would not offer probiotics to baby before six months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN