• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Appointment update and question. PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 17 Replies

So I had my 37 week appointment and non-stress test yesterday. The non-stress test went well, and I'm having contractions every 1-7 minutes. Nothing regular, and not all of them are intense thankfully.

When I went in to be checked I am 25% effaced and not really dilating. I asked her again about VBAC. She said that she's willing to let me try, but that it's not looking promising. :( I burst into tears when she said that. I'm not the person who cries in front of people.

She said that she was thinking about inducing me next week (I'll be 38.5 weeks by my appointment, 39 weeks on the day she's thinking about inducing). Then she told me that since my GD was being so well controlled by diet, and the baby didn't seem abnormally big that she would give me to 40 weeks (as long as things stayed looking good) to try to give my body a chance to do its own thing.

I am just praying that my cervix starts dilating quickly. Tried to induce labor by doing the baby making dance last night, and then took a 2 mile walk before work this morning. Anyone have any other suggestions?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg, your doctor SUCKS!!! On several levels. If you want a vbac, you really need to avoid induction as long as baby is doing well. Inductions result in c section about a 2/3 of the time in a mom who's never had a vaginal birth.

Also, what happening with your cervix at ONLY 37 weeks is so meaningless, it's laughable! It's pretty meaningless information anyway, let alone a full 3 weeks before you are even due.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Please don't try to rush labor this early. A lot of 37 weekers aren't fully developed and have higher rates of lung problems, reflux, trouble breastfeeding, etc.

The baby's brain volume will increase by a THIRD between 37 & 40 weeks. New studies are showing that babies born at 37 weeks have higher rates of learning disabilities and lower average IQs.
There's just no reason to rush things. Your baby is either huge by this point or not, forcing labor early and shaving off a few ounces from the birth weight just isn't going to make a difference in you being able to give birth vaginally or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mna_823
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting larissalarie:

Please don't try to rush labor this early. A lot of 37 weekers aren't fully developed and have higher rates of lung problems, reflux, trouble breastfeeding, etc.

The baby's brain volume will increase by a THIRD between 37 & 40 weeks. New studies are showing that babies born at 37 weeks have higher rates of learning disabilities and lower average IQs.
There's just no reason to rush things. Your baby is either huge by this point or not, forcing labor early and shaving off a few ounces from the birth weight just isn't going to make a difference in you being able to give birth vaginally or not.

Thank you.  It's nice to know that I'm not crazy because I'm thinking along those lines.

larissalarie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Your welcome. I had to remind myself of this stuff frequently when my second baby was expected to be large and I was freaked about the possibility of a c section.

Quoting mna_823:

Quoting larissalarie:

Thank you.  It's nice to know that I'm not crazy because I'm thinking along those lines.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Why will she only "let" you go to 40 weeks? Many babies need longer than 40 weeks to be ready for birth.

Cervical changes or the lack thereof mean absolutely nothing. Any chance you can find a more vbac supportive provider?

mna_823
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

She's worried because I have GD

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Why will she only "let" you go to 40 weeks? Many babies need longer than 40 weeks to be ready for birth.

Cervical changes or the lack thereof mean absolutely nothing. Any chance you can find a more vbac supportive provider?

tansyflower
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
2 moms liked this
But if its under control it doesnt pose a risk. That makes no sense! Its when gb hasnt been controlled that you have serious risks...i think you need to remember that this ob works for you! "Let you" is a term i have serious issue with. This is your body sweety, not hers!

Quoting mna_823:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I am confused...why is a VBAC not looking promising? INDUCTION for a VBAC?? NO WAY!! Thats generaly not safe!!

I dont have any suggestions besides telling doctor where to shove it with induction talk and not showing up for induction...not showing up to the hospital til WAY into labor

tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

AND? Alot of moms do.  My hubbys mom had GD and he was only 6 lbs at birth

Quoting mna_823:

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

finnbar
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Eeeeeee! Please do not let your doctor bully you into an induction. Many inductions fail without pitocin and pitocin is very dangerous if you have had a caesarian before.
Pregnancy should last 40 weeks, MINIMUM. 25 % effaced at 37 weeks is very promising in my opinion. Effacement is what counts. You can be 10+ dialatef but if effacement is not complete, no dice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)