Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OB procedures

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

Can anyone give me any information on procedures that OBs do that aren't necessary?  What can I refuse, and what should I go through with, and what should I be leery of?  My 1st appointment is next month so I have a while to research it. 

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Are you healthy or high-risk?
Is this an OB or midwife?
You can interview with several care providers to see who is a good fit for you.

Procedures should be optional.    Depending on what a practice prefers to do as "standard" will vary, so you can ask for their list of procedures.    You are legally allowed to refuse procedures but this might not be presented to you in that way, scare-tactics may used...    It is worth researching all possibilities so you can have some awareness all-around.

Keep in mind that if you are normal, healthy, then you shouldn't need any intervening.     Not even less invasive procedure like ultrasound or Doppler.
Any time you alter-intervene in Normal you add risks so you will want to learn about what is Right for you, how you feel, if it's necessary/convenient and if the risks outweigh benefits.

:-)

GL!

larissalarie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM
You can refuse absolutely anything, although they might fight you on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britty1987
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Thanks for your reply!  We live in an area where there aren't any midwives close enough to accept me :(  I'm going to an OB.  The office I'll be going to until I'm 32 weeks is about a 30 minute drive (closest one to me)  and the hospital that's closest to me that delivers is about 45 minutes away.  I'll have to start going there for my checkups once I'm 32 weeks (that's the policy of the OB that I'm going to.  The office is a clinic of the hospital where I'll be delivering.  I'm not at risk, and with my previous pregnancy I didn't have morning sickness or any problems at all.  (Sorry to those who did, I'm really not trying to brag).  I haven't had any morning sickness with this one so far, but my family doctor said that it could start in a few weeks.  I did let my family doctor pick out the OB because I'm new to the area and don't know much about it yet. I don't know how normal I am (haha)  but I am very healthy.  I eat well, drink lots of water.  My only child is 6 (7 next month!)  So a lot of things have changed since that pregnancy, and being in a different area makes things different as well.  Thanks for your response =]

Quoting doulala

Are you healthy or high-risk?
Is this an OB or midwife?
You can interview with several care providers to see who is a good fit for you.

Procedures should be optional.    Depending on what a practice prefers to do as "standard" will vary, so you can ask for their list of procedures.    You are legally allowed to refuse procedures but this might not be presented to you in that way, scare-tactics may used...    It is worth researching all possibilities so you can have some awareness all-around.

Keep in mind that if you are normal, healthy, then you shouldn't need any intervening.     Not even less invasive procedure like ultrasound or Doppler.
Any time you alter-intervene in Normal you add risks so you will want to learn about what is Right for you, how you feel, if it's necessary/convenient and if the risks outweigh benefits.

:-)

GL!

tansyflower
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

personally i wouldnt do the glucose test.  using a moniter 4x a day for 2 weeks and making a food journel is so much more accurate.  how many people dont eat for 12 hours and then slam enough sugar to kill an elephant?  heck most non pregnant people would fail that test.  and once you are labeled "gestational diabetic" then that gives an ob the right to pull the big baby/early induction card.  it doesnt matter if you control it with diet and can prove you are fine, they will still insist on an induction which increases your chance of a c-section dramatically.

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

All procedures are optional. Research each one. Know the benefits/risks and make an informed decision.

Main routine procedures done during pregnancy are

• Pap smear and pelvic exam (completely unnecessary)
  • cervical checks (unnecessary)
  • blood tests (helpful)
  • ultrasounds (can do without)
  • genetic screenings (usually offered if there are risk factors such as age or family history)
  • gestational diabetes test (good info, not a great method)
  • blood pressure readings, temperature readings, fundal height measurements, urine tests for presence of protein, (all four not invasive)
  • recommended flu shots or other vaccines (very controversial during pregnancy)
  • GBS test (note that new recommendations have this test "expire" after 5 weeks. Generally done week 36. If you plan to have this test done and are having your first child or tend to deliver past edd, you should get this test done no earlier than 38 weeks

There may be others, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. You should be informed before any procedure. If the doctor wants to do something you don't know much about or are uncomfortable with, know that you can delay and decide later after you've done adequate research. If you need more info than what the doctor gives, just tell him/her that you need more time to decide. Sometimes it's helpful if you just say you would like to look into it more and will have a decision by the next appointment. Doctor should be respectful of your decisions.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Most procedures and testing aren't necessary for low-risk women.

Henci Goer has a great book called Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth that goes through a lot of birth interventions and provides a lot of information to help you make the choices that are best for you.

Britty1987
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Thanks for your replys, they're very helpful!   I'll definitely be looking up the book you recommended Mrs.Salz

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I refused all vaginal checks until labor. 

Sarah725
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

don't have your membranes stripped.

Sarah725
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

ultrasounds not necessary at the end of pregnancy.  A lot of doctors try and scare you telling you how big your baby is getting, it's just not accurate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)