Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talk to me about...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM
  • 24 Replies

.. glucose testing.  I'm getting closer to that time in pregnancy and i've heard/read some pretty negative things about it.  I am having a normal pregnancy so far and did not have GD with my first pregnancy.  I'd like to refuse it, but i want to make sure i have all the info i need for when they undoubtably try to force me into doing it.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The A1C is a popular alternative although I don't know much about what it is since I decline it altogether.

paknari
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
How hard do you think it is to get glucose testing? You drink a sugary drink and then wait an hour and they draw you blood. I don't know how horrible it can be unless you are afraid of needles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymommylove
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM

the sugary drink tastes like sunkist without carbonation

Quoting paknari:

How hard do you think it is to get glucose testing? You drink a sugary drink and then wait an hour and they draw you blood. I don't know how horrible it can be unless you are afraid of needles.

paknari
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
They gave me a clear on this time and it tasted like sprite with a cup of sugar added to it!

Quoting prettymommylove:

the sugary drink tastes like sunkist without carbonation

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amycapl
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:00 PM
3 moms liked this

i don't think it's hard. i've done it once. i've just heard recently of people refusing it for various reasons and was looking for some information as to why.  Also, when i took it the last time, the drink made me vomit and i had to start over.  Also, i don't put that kind of garbage into my body on a regular basis and am somewhat opposed to doing it in such a fashion as they make you do it.  I'm just trying to get informed

Quoting paknari:

CafeMom Tickers
larissalarie
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM
5 moms liked this
I'm guessing you aren't a member of this group :-)

Considering most of us here have given birth completely naturally (aka, no pain medication among other things), I don't think anyone cares about a stupid little needle prick.

The women here are about trusting their bodies,, EDUCATING themselves rather than submitting to medical procedures without knowledge, and making the best decision for their baby and their body.

There are much more accurate ways to assess a mother's GD status than drinking a crappy artificial drink. (and I'm saying this as someone who had no issue drinking the crap, taking the needle pricks, etc, but your attitude is disgusting toward women making INFORMED decisions)

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Diabetis during oregnancy isn't something that you should mess with when you are pregnant. Or any time for that matter. I agree with natural birth and limited testing but I've also seen what happens to people who don't treat Diabetis. I think it is irresponsible and risky. If you are against the drink you could talk to your doctor about eati. A particular meal high in sugar but saying that because you don't eat things like the drink so you shouldnt take the test is like saying because you eat green leafy vegetables you won't get cancer.

Quoting larissalarie:

Considering most of us here have given birth completely naturally (aka, no pain medication among other things), I don't think anyone cares about a stupid little needle prick.

The women here are about trusting their bodies,, EDUCATING themselves rather than submitting to medical procedures without knowledge, and making the best decision for their baby and their body.

There are much more accurate ways to assess a mother's GD status than drinking a crappy artificial drink. (and I'm saying this as someone who had no issue drinking the crap, taking the needle pricks, etc, but your attitude is disgusting toward women making INFORMED decisions)

Quoting paknari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

GD and Diabetes during pregnancy are two different conditions.  GD's biggest risk is a large baby.  Diabetes brought on by pregnancy is more similar to Type II and carries all the risks that come with that.  The drink is horribly inaccurate as a means of testing since anyone pregnant or not can easily fail.  We are just not meant to consume so much sugar in this manner.  An A1C and insulin draw are much more accurate means and do not involve the risks of this test. 

Quoting paknari:

Diabetis during oregnancy isn't something that you should mess with when you are pregnant. Or any time for that matter. I agree with natural birth and limited testing but I've also seen what happens to people who don't treat Diabetis. I think it is irresponsible and risky. If you are against the drink you could talk to your doctor about eati. A particular meal high in sugar but saying that because you don't eat things like the drink so you shouldnt take the test is like saying because you eat green leafy vegetables you won't get cancer.

Quoting larissalarie:

Quoting paknari:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)