Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone used Eastern Medicine for ADHD?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 20 Replies
Hi ladies. :)

My precious 5 year old dd is extremely hyperactive and compulsive.. Has been since I can remember. I was a bit hyper as a child, but not in the way that my daughter is and I had no issues focusing. ADD does run in my family (my father and sister).

We've made a real effort to ensure we are not giving her any foods with artificial colors/flavors. Minimal sugar. Offer walnuts and fish with high omegas. Etc. We try to speak calm and slowly to her to help her focus and calm down. Deep, slow breaths. Etc. Its not been easy. I see my dd's struggles and know its frustrating for her.

She is in her first year of preschool 2x a week (for 3 hours) and she has struggles at school. Her teachers are wonderful and we talk often about ways to help her stay on track. Still, she struggles. I was told by her lead teacher that she is 99% sure that when she enters kindergarten they will evaluate her for ADHD. I have no doubts that they will. They can evaluate all they want. But that doesn't mean I'm going to start giving my daughter a bunch of medication. Especially at her age.

I'm trying my best to help her naturally and this week we met with an Eastern medicine doctor/chiropractor (who healed my husband of his hiatal hernia). She feels my dd carries the gene for adhd, and it possibly became "active" by her having vaccines. (I will save the vaccine talk for a different post soon) The doctor uses pulse diagnosis and myscle testing to detect inbalances in the body. We have our dd on a regiment of the friendly bacterias (superdophilus, bifidonate, bulgaricum) to restore her gut. As well as a mixture of pro-apana, calm mind, shankapushi, jayamansi drops in 24oz of water for dd to sip on through the day. And a relaxation cream to rub down her spine 2x a day.

Has anyone used eastern medicine to help heal their children or themselves if add/ADHD? What did you use? Did it help? If so, when did you see positives changes?

Thanks in advance :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Demerise
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I'd like to add we are stopping multivitamins. And trying to omit bananas (poor kid loves them!) large beans, eggplant, and bell peppers.... As she says these are channel blockers. ?!? It's worth a try!
charity987
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I'd say it's worth a try! My 5 year old DS has ADHD & obsessive tendancies (He gets these from his Daddy), though they're not a major issue & we homeschool. But our chiropractor does do some special adjustments & accupressure that really make a huge difference, especially with the obsessing.

GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Quoting Demerise:

I'd like to add we are stopping multivitamins. And trying to omit bananas (poor kid loves them!) large beans, eggplant, and bell peppers.... As she says these are channel blockers. ?!? It's worth a try!

Why did you decide to stop taking multivitamins?

Congrats on finding a practitioner that you mesh with.  So often the "alternative" practitioners we've encountered act a little tooooo alternative to be a good fit with our family.  :)

JoJoBean8
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never dealt with adhd but here's a bump

Sarah725
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM
My cousin gave her dd meds and its really helped her.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I'm not very familiar with ADHD treatment in particular, but if you think the vaccines played a role (very likely), would you be open to trying a heavy metal cleanse?
Demerise
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:15 AM
I'd love to homeschool but I can't seem to get dh on board with it. I worry my dd won't get the patience that she needs from the teachers. I'm hoping things go well and if not, dh will see that homeschooling would be a good option for us.

May I ask what sort of obsessive tendencies he has?

I will ask the doctor about the adjustments and acupressure. Thanks :)

Quoting charity987:

I'd say it's worth a try! My 5 year old DS has ADHD & obsessive tendancies (He gets these from his Daddy), though they're not a major issue & we homeschool. But our chiropractor does do some special adjustments & accupressure that really make a huge difference, especially with the obsessing.

Demerise
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM
What sort if cleanse? Safe for a child?

Quoting ceckyl:

I'm not very familiar with ADHD treatment in particular, but if you think the vaccines played a role (very likely), would you be open to trying a heavy metal cleanse?

Demerise
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:33 AM
From what I understood, she said we gets surges of energy after taking a multivitamin, which isnt helping ADHD children. But more importantly, all of us benefit more from our nutrition being from wholefoods rather than synthetic nutrition. And these multivitamins isolate these chemicals.... This article I read explains it much better than I can, lol. http://blog.healthkismet.com/synthetic-vitamins-supplements-not-good-for

I thought it was a good read.

Thank you. I hope this ends with a good result. :)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Quoting Demerise:

Why did you decide to stop taking multivitamins?

Congrats on finding a practitioner that you mesh with.  So often the "alternative" practitioners we've encountered act a little tooooo alternative to be a good fit with our family.  :)

jconney80
by Jill - Admin on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I use mostly diet changes & adding vitamins since kids like this tend to be deficient in some vitamins. My kids have ADHD symptoms. My daughter was diagnosed with it and has obsessive tendencies but it turns out that her ADHD behaviors came from a problem with sensory processing and she has Aspergers. I'd check sensory processing disorder out to see if that could be what's causing the behaviors of ADHD. All 3 of my kids have these issues and if your child has SPD they can get occupational therapy, which teaches you lots of ways to help them by working with their bodies. It is a lot like using a chiropractor. You learn ways to help their body regulate sensory input and ways to calm them. If she does have this the school would have to work with her by giving her an IEP and you can have solutions in place (such as giving her more breaks to get exercise in throughout the day so she can focus... Hyper kids need lots of sensory input and exercise to stay focused). School districts can offer occupational therapy through the schools also if she gets an IEP, which is an individualized education plan. I would definitely check into it. It has helped my kids so much and your pediatrician/ Dr can refer her for an occupational therapy eval at any place that has outpatient occupational therapy. Along with diet and natural ways to heal the body it can really help!

Here is a good link about sensory processing problems....

OK it's on the next page because it wouldn't post here LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)