Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No poo help

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 11 Replies
I just recently started doing the no poo. I do 1tbs of baking soda with 1c of water, then 2tbs of acv with 1c of water on the ends. Then I use a spray bottle for both to distribute it evenly.
Here's my question. Is it normal for the roots to be so...stiff? The greasiness I expected while I'm transitioning but this is unexpected. It feels waxy almost? And once it's dry the roots don't bend much, they're very stiff. I often just toss my hair back but I can't now because the hair is very fixed in whatever direction it dried in, if that makes any sense. I got a little of the acv on the roots, could this be the problem or might it be something else?
The longer parts of my hair feel awesome, nice and soft and pliable.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikzup03
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Do you have hard water? And are you rinsing it with cool water? There also shouldn't be too much greasiness, I would expect you don't need as much acv or none at all, I only use acv twice a month or whenever my ends feels dry. I have oily hair. I also have hard water, I mix two little bottles of cooled boiled water about a cup each, with about 4-5 tsp bs each. Use half for front half for back. I can go at least a day between washing now, I started back in october/November with everyday washing, lessening as it got adjusted.
taeray
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I don't know about my water, how would I find that out?
I did not try rinsing with cool water, I'll give that a shot.

Quoting nikzup03:

Do you have hard water? And are you rinsing it with cool water? There also shouldn't be too much greasiness, I would expect you don't need as much acv or none at all, I only use acv twice a month or whenever my ends feels dry. I have oily hair. I also have hard water, I mix two little bottles of cooled boiled water about a cup each, with about 4-5 tsp bs each. Use half for front half for back. I can go at least a day between washing now, I started back in october/November with everyday washing, lessening as it got adjusted.
nikzup03
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM
I don't know how to find out (other than everyone around me knows it and told me, lol) I'm sure there might be a test or you could call the water company.

And I don't remember exactly, but I know hot (or really warm) water will react with bs causing it to be gritty. I don't know the temp though....

Quoting taeray:

I don't know about my water, how would I find that out?

I did not try rinsing with cool water, I'll give that a shot.

Quoting nikzup03:

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add some sea salt to your rinses in case you do have hard water.

But the stiffness is the bs. You need to either rinse it out better wih water or use an acv rinse on your roots. The acv is fantastic for your scalp anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taeray
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Quoting jellyphish:

But the stiffness is the bs. You need to either rinse it out better wih water or use an acv rinse on your roots. The acv is fantastic for your scalp anyway.
Really? The one time I put the acv on my roots my hair was super greasy the whole day.
Naegore
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe too much acv? I just started myself this week and every recipe I found said to use 1 tablespoon to 1 cup of water. My ends feel a little stiff, but not too bad really. If you have thin hair, you may need to adjust the amount of bs you use. Try using a little less. That is the info I found on it anyways. 

JoJoBean8
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Is the baking soda clumping?

jellyphish
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:24 PM
That's probably because you just recently gave up shampoo. There's goig to be an adjustment period which often means greasiness for awhile. The acv is ph balanced, very good for hair and skin and insides. And because of the way it reacts with bs, the two together make a great cleanser.

Quoting taeray:

Quoting jellyphish:

Really? The one time I put the acv on my roots my hair was super greasy the whole day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taeray
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Nope, no clumping.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Is the baking soda clumping?

louzannalady
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM

That happened once, when I first started no pooing. I just had not rinsed the BS/water out of my hair or off my scalp thoroughly enough. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)