Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby Money Question

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 22 Replies

New mama here, due in May. I am wondering what you spend on average on your baby a month? I am planning on breast feeding so I wont be buying formula. I am using disposable diapers. Trying to get an idea of how much money we need to budget in for baby. It would be awesome if you were able to kinda seperate it, this much for diapers, this much for that, etc. but not neccessary.

Thanks

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Tabi - Admin on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We spent about $50 a month on diapers, after 6 months theres extra solids(we dont do baby food) and since we did fresh fruit and veggies it was about another $100.  We bought a convertible carseat around 4-6 months and that was around $200.  Then theres clothes.  Hard to remember clothes because I have 4 boys and have passed stuff down

polkaspots
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry. I have no idea. You could probably do the math yourself though. A big box of diapers has his many and a newborn goes through ten a day. Et cetera. There's also the burp cloths and extra laundry. Doctor bills, clothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticmom90
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

ummm kinda depends.... you would need about $80 a month for diapers, plus another $30 for wipes, plus about $15 for diaper rash creams.

Since you really didn't give any information on what you do have I am assuming that you have all your baby gear and essentials.

Assuming that you have insurance for doctor's vists, copays are anywhere from $20-50 per visit. You will have a 48 hr doctor visit, and a well visit every month from then on until 6 months then they spred out some.

During life's surprises you will find that you may need to by another pack of socks, more binkys, and other things so budget a good $30 a month (at least) for those things that just pop up.

I would seriously suggest you look at cloth diapers, they really save you money and you don't have to worry about those monthly costs.

If you don't already have clothing I would budget $50 a month for  clothing, you won't always spend that much, especially if you shop second hand but it is always good to have wiggle room.

More info would help us help you :)

JoJoBean8
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Not much we bf, cd, and did blw. 

larissalarie
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:19 PM
^^^^$30 a month on wipes??!!?! $15 a month on diaper rash cream??!?!
Maybe if they weren't being wiped so excessively, they wouldn't have such bad rashes! Lol.
I spend like $4 a month on wipes, wipes are crazy cheap. And a value size thing of diapers that's $25 (Huggies) lasts like 3 weeks once they get past the newborn stage and aren't pooping constantly. My kids have never had diaper rash, so I've bought exactly one tube of that ever. If you baby IS getting rashes regularly, you need to look at finding diapers & wipes that aren't irritating to them, possibly changing more/less frequently, and lastly it could be dietary. A rash is not "normal", it's your skin telling you something is wrong.

OP, it's kinda impossible to break that down for you, sorry. So much is highly dependent upon the individual baby/family. If you buy brand new, latest and greatest, top brands, etc it'll cost a ton more than buying sparingly, going for cheap brands and used items.

We buy used, save it & reuse for each baby, so it's not a lot of up front expenses now. We don't have to pay for daycare, etc so that's a big saver too. So basically diapers, wipes, and clothes are the big expenses for us. I can't imagine spending $100 a month in food just for a baby. Our kids just eat the things we eat and it hadn't made a difference in the budget until they get to be 2 or 3 and start eating large enough quantities that we need to make larger family meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesuschild06
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. I have looked at prices for diapers and wipes and got a rough estimate, but wanted to compair. Also was looking to see what other kinds of things people buy monthly for baby. With this being #1, and being super OCD about money budgetting, I wanted to make sure I am budgetting enough. 

I havent really been worried about clothes buying since I have tons already, and I havent even had my baby shower yet. And things like diaper rash cream I havent been worried about because I know its not something that should be needed daily, or even monthly. 

Quoting larissalarie:

^^^^$30 a month on wipes??!!?! $15 a month on diaper rash cream??!?!
Maybe if they weren't being wiped so excessively, they wouldn't have such bad rashes! Lol.
I spend like $4 a month on wipes, wipes are crazy cheap. And a value size thing of diapers that's $25 (Huggies) lasts like 3 weeks once they get past the newborn stage and aren't pooping constantly. My kids have never had diaper rash, so I've bought exactly one tube of that ever. If you baby IS getting rashes regularly, you need to look at finding diapers & wipes that aren't irritating to them, possibly changing more/less frequently, and lastly it could be dietary. A rash is not "normal", it's your skin telling you something is wrong.

OP, it's kinda impossible to break that down for you, sorry. So much is highly dependent upon the individual baby/family. If you buy brand new, latest and greatest, top brands, etc it'll cost a ton more than buying sparingly, going for cheap brands and used items.

We buy used, save it & reuse for each baby, so it's not a lot of up front expenses now. We don't have to pay for daycare, etc so that's a big saver too. So basically diapers, wipes, and clothes are the big expenses for us. I can't imagine spending $100 a month in food just for a baby. Our kids just eat the things we eat and it hadn't made a difference in the budget until they get to be 2 or 3 and start eating large enough quantities that we need to make larger family meals.

VintageWife
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:40 PM
3 moms liked this

You could buy diapers in bulk at Sam's Club or even use the Target brand. It's a yellow box of Up & Up diapers and they have blue and green dots on them. They're the best cheap disposable diapers. Luvs are horrible (imo) and I won't use those on my kids when I use disposables. I think you can get away with $30-$40 in diapers each month and a box of wipes bought at Sam's or other bulk stores should last you a month or two.

As long as you are bf'ing and already have a carseat and some basic clothes bought, you're not going to spend anything extra on the baby until they need new clothes. Even when it's time to feed them regular food (i wouldn't till 7+ months though), you can feed them the same things you're eating but mashed for babies.

I've never really understood people saying babies cost. They really don't cost any extra (except for clothes if it's your first) till they're school age, in my opinion.

ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
This

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Not much we bf, cd, and did blw. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Not much.

$300 upfront for cloth diapers so we just pay for homemade laundry detergent (a few cents per load) and the cost of running the washer and dryer.

We EBF so we spend a little extra on groceries every month to make sure I'm getting enough good quality foods.

$20-30 for a monthly chiro visit maybe.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Babies don't really cost that much in the monthly budget unless they have an unexpected health issue. Otherwise they can be just about as inexpensive or expensive as you make them.

Most baby "essentials" at BRU or elsewhere aren't needed or can be bought used for a lot less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)