Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

gf baking mixes & flour

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone tried Bob's Red Mill baking mixes - especially bread dough and pizza crust? Do you like it or prefer another brand?

When baking with gf flour do I need to use gf specific recipes or will it substitute in a regular recipe?

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Bob's is usually coarser then I would like to bake with. I usually use almond flour and coconut flour. Sometimes you can just sub the almond flour. But I usually look up a similar recipe using almond flour to make sure I use the right amount. 

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I use both and like them too, just looking for something less expensive to use now and then.

Quoting JoJoBean8:

Bob's is usually coarser then I would like to bake with. I usually use almond flour and coconut flour. Sometimes you can just sub the almond flour. But I usually look up a similar recipe using almond flour to make sure I use the right amount. 

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Ive never tried that.
JMmama
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I have never tried that and I am a novice when it comes to GF cooking and baking but I don't think the GF flours substitute equally for regular flour. I think you use less. I have only ever used recipes that specifically call for GF flour though (mainly coconut).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM
The gf bisquick makes a good pizza crust and its quick and easy
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

bump

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Tom Sawyer is the best all purpose GF flour ever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Bobs bread GF mix is good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
I have their pizza crust mix but haven't used it yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM
So the thing with GF flours is that usually you need a mixture to just replace all purpose flour. Those mixes will have several types of flours and starches along with xantham gum. Usually you can replace for all purpose flour in recipes. Just read the bag. I personally prefer Tom Sawyer mix but if you want Paleo you can use coconut flour or almond flour.

You cannot replace all purpose flour in a recipe with only one kind of GF flour. So if a recipe calls for all purpose flour you can't use only coconut flour. There are recipes like Paleo recipes that call for one type of flour but they are specific. I haven't really made my own all purpose GF flour mix yet but I should one day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)