Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Advice? Planning 1st Homebirth for my 5th baby, super fast labors.

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
  • 21 Replies
Hi, I'm expecting my 5th child in July & planning my first home birth with a midwife. 2 midwives will be present for birth but 1 lives 45 minutes away & the one with the most experience lives 2 hours away. I'm nervous because my last labor wasn't even an hour long. By the time I realized I was in labor 10-15 minutes & made the 1/2 hour drive to the hospital, she was born on the triage table 6 mins after arriving @ er door 1 small push. I think I could have easily delivered her in the truck because I wanted desperately to push the entire drive there. My labor before was 1 hr 15 mins & the labor before that 3 hours. My babies come fast & I've never had to push more than 3 times. I also tend to deliver 2-3 weeks before due date & during that time the closest midwife will be on vacation out of state for 10 days so the midwife remaining is 2 hours away. They have a doula I can call that is 20 mins away during this time but that won't help much when it comes to delivering. I just can't help but worry that's exactly what will happen. I live in a rural area where midwives are few and far between & they have no hospital privileges whosoever. I spent 2 months researching this, several years wanting to do this and now we can afford to but I don't want to deliver alone or just with my hubby &/or doula. I could go it yes but I wouldn't want to be unsafe for my baby. Any advice? Thanks for reading!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JMmama
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I am also pregnant with #5 and have super fast labors so I understand where you are coming from. After #2 was nearly born in the car, I decided I had to be prepared to have any future babies on my own at home. It wasn't plan A but at least it was a plan. For this baby, I am planning on delivering at a free standing birth center but I will also be prepared to UC if it comes down to it. Maybe someone else will have better advice, but if I was you I would do everything possible to make sure you are good and ready to deliver that baby on your own just in case.
mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Just be prepared for an unassisted birth.
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
If you can't find a closer midwife that won't be on vacation and you don't want to switch to a hospital birth, your only choice is to be prepared to give birth unassisted and call the midwife at the very first sign of labor.
Unfortunately there's no tips or tricks to slow down natural labor or make your midwife be able to travel faster, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peaches_04
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I also have fast labors
My midwifes gave me instructions on positions to stay in to hold off/slow down labor until they got there
peaches_04
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM
They also did teaching with my husband. Told him what to do and what supplies hed need if baby refused to wait
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I would also be educated on unassisted childbirth.

FarmingMomma5
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Thank you ladies! I didn't know there are certain positions to try to slow labor down. Both my midwives have the opinion that if the baby is coming that fast, usually all is well & with my easy, fast labors, it would be fine to deliver alone, although they would like to be there. lol Each midwife has delivered several of their own children with just husband present & call it a wonderful bonding experience. My husband is supportive so if we delive,
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

An unassisted birth isn't necessarily unsafe if you are low risk and are prepared. I would do some preparation for that just in case.

FarmingMomma5
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM
*if we deliver alone, it would definitely make for an interesting birth story. :) Guess I have a lot of (hopefully unneeded) preparing to do! Anyone know of any good books on this subject? Thanks again!
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If you do a group search for unassisted birth you can find a couple recent threads with resources and some birth stories (including mine from 2 weeks ago!).

Quoting FarmingMomma5:

*if we deliver alone, it would definitely make for an interesting birth story. :) Guess I have a lot of (hopefully unneeded) preparing to do! Anyone know of any good books on this subject? Thanks again!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)