Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Birth class or doula?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 17 Replies
Talking to my husband last night we both decided that we need to get some help with his next birth. Pain management and support confidence all the good stuff. We can't afford both a doula and a class (looking at the birthing from within class) we can only do one. I'm not sure which to go with... I know everyone should get a doula but I don't want my husband to be useless next to her either...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM
6 moms liked this

My opinion - buy birthing from within on amazon for about $12 and read it with your DH. Hire a doula. She's support for both of you so he can support you more effectively.

Terpsichore
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I'm in the same boat. I've decided to hire a doula and read the book Birthing From Within, which I will read in the next month. I'll be borrowing it from a lending library. I've already read a Bradley Method book, Husband-Coached Childbrith. Getting Hubby to read these books is another matter.

notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Doula for sure. I agree with the other poster. Read books about birth. A doula provides a service that is unmatched to a cookie cutter class that you're not going to remember or care about when the time comes. The doula can remind you and support you. When you contemplate pain management she will remind you where your husband will just want you comfortable.
rjmac88
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Well I'm having a home birth. I just need more effective natural pain management. My first natural birth was virtually painless. I expected it to be the same with my next baby. NOPE!!!! So now I know no need to be prepared for the pain to be unbearable again

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Doula for sure. I agree with the other poster. Read books about birth. A doula provides a service that is unmatched to a cookie cutter class that you're not going to remember or care about when the time comes. The doula can remind you and support you. When you contemplate pain management she will remind you where your husband will just want you comfortable.

Lizard_Lina
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM
So are doulas really in a decent demand? I wanted to study but I had a nurse tell me its a waste of time
rjmac88
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I've read a ton of books with my last pregnancy. I think i may get a doula. The books didn't help much. Like they did in prep and being totally confident and everything. Once labor hit that knowledge was useless
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I'm having my first home birth in July. I would only want a doula for a hospital birth. My midwives can act as a doula, that's what they are there for. I have never been into the class idea before though.

Quoting rjmac88:

Well I'm having a home birth. I just need more effective natural pain management. My first natural birth was virtually painless. I expected it to be the same with my next baby. NOPE!!!! So now I know no need to be prepared for the pain to be unbearable again

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

rjmac88
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM
From what I've seen they are

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

So are doulas really in a decent demand? I wanted to study but I had a nurse tell me its a waste of time

jaybray310
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I would say: DOULA! Who knows if you'll remember everything from the class while you're in the moment. A doula can help bring you back to center if you're starting to lose it.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I would go with doula!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN