Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

do hormones affect milk supply?

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 22 Replies

Is it possible for your natural hormones (not by taking any medication) to cause you to dry up? My friend insists when she got her period and her hormones changed it caused her to dry up and she couldn't sustain breastfeeding. is this even possible? What about pregnancy? Can you sucessfully nurse through pregnancy without needing to supplement?

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Some women do experience low milk supply during a period, but it usually bounces back.  I noticed my son was a lot fussier with less diapers during my periods (8 months PP), but it was always back to normal after a couple of days.

PEEK05
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I could have nursed during pregnancy, but when my mature milk changed to colostrum, my son weaned himself.  We only got through 4 months of pregnancy.  He was only 16 months and it made me soooo sad. :(

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Period is a temporary dip and not a big one. Cal/Mag supplements help with menstrual dips, as does hydration and eating well. It is not a reason to wean, because the rest of the month supply should be fine.

Pregnancy usually does end up in a drastic supply drop that can last from 6wks to birth. Pregnancy before baby is a year old will very likely require supplementation as most galactogogues aren't pregnancy safe nor are they effective to a hormonal dip. Rarely, a woman can nurse through pregnancy with adequate diapers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

awww, i went through the exact same thing!  my daughter was 16 months too (but i can't remember exactly how far along in my pregnancy).  it broke my heart.

Quoting PEEK05:

I could have nursed during pregnancy, but when my mature milk changed to colostrum, my son weaned himself.  We only got through 4 months of pregnancy.  He was only 16 months and it made me soooo sad. :(

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of it causing a permanent drop in supply but a temporary one is really common. I also get supply dips during ovulation.

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

this

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Pregnancy usually does end up in a drastic supply drop that can last from 6wks to birth. Pregnancy before baby is a year old will very likely require supplementation as most galactogogues aren't pregnancy safe nor are they effective to a hormonal dip. Rarely, a woman can nurse through pregnancy with adequate diapers.

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I thought so about pregnancy. My friend thinks that once her hormones shift to supporting a period that her milk can't sustain at all not just around her period. I experience a dip in supply around my period but my baby just nurses more often.

I got pregnant 9mo pp and didn't experience a dip in supply until around 1year thank heavens. Having to wean would have broken my heart!

does nursing more often around the time of your period help combat the low supply issue at all?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

Period is a temporary dip and not a big one. Cal/Mag supplements help with menstrual dips, as does hydration and eating well. It is not a reason to wean, because the rest of the month supply should be fine.

lifeforchrist
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

so sad :( my dd refused to wean when i got pregnant. It was tough nursing through pregnancy but i survived!

Quoting PEEK05:

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM
My supply was adequate while pregnant as well. I would've hated supplementing. It didn't survive 2 back to back miscarriages however. :'( I was devastated, all around, but my DD was then 2.5 years so no supplement needed.

Yes, the extra nursing does compensate for the supply dip.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

I thought so about pregnancy. My friend thinks that once her hormones shift to supporting a period that her milk can't sustain at all not just around her period. I experience a dip in supply around my period but my baby just nurses more often.

I got pregnant 9mo pp and didn't experience a dip in supply until around 1year thank heavens. Having to wean would have broken my heart!

does nursing more often around the time of your period help combat the low supply issue at all?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM
That happened to my Mom with her oldest 4. We refused after she was 3-4 months pregnant so she had to switch to other sources, namely formula. She was so happy when my youngest sister nurses until about 2 yrs old.

Quoting PEEK05:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN