Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

fluid coming from baby's ear, why??

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 18 Replies

Yesterday i noticed my baby had sticky stuff all around his ear  (color of baby eawax) Now it is still "leaking" it is more clear with a little whitish color. He is as happy as a clam, no screaming in pain or anything. Any one have this happen to their kids? I think it may have to do with an ear infection. But my daughter, nor i have ever had an ear infection, so i know nothing about them. I don't give my childen antibiotics, so don't suggest i need to give him them. I have the most powerful antibiotic of all, breastmilk.   

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortcakes13
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM
It could be an infection... I know that with ruptured eardrums the ear can leak fluid...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

runny wax is not a big deal, but I would look up what color fluid is for ear infections. it can lead to rupture but, If the ear drum ruptured already he would be in pain. 

JMmama
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

My youngest had that a month or so ago. Two days later we just happened to have a well child visit scheduled and it was still majorly draining. The doctor gave me some antibiotic drops and it was much better by the next day and totally cleared up by the 2nd. I didn't have any breastmilk though. Otherwise, I would have tried that first. I'd just start squirting some in there with diaper changes or twice a day.  

He didn't have any other symptoms either. He wasn't fussy or anything. I could tell that the drainage was uncomfortable but he didn't seem to be in any pain.

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Maybe it's just cleaning it self out.

dakojayd88
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I keep doing the breastmilk in the ear, it is leaking less and less. Is it the breast milk, or is it just getting better? i don't know. But little man is a bundle of smiles, so thats all that matters!

paganmommy4
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Does it smell? My daughter had this problem and had another ear infection.. Yes, while you have the best in milk.. Kids sometimes need an antibiotic to treat ear infections any doctor will tell you that. Giving breast milk doesnt prevent ear infections nor contains the right amount of antibodies to kill the germs causing it. The only good breast milk does is build up his immune system. thats like saying your kid gets the measels and only nursing him, while he could die from complications...

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:55 AM

If there is no fever or other symptoms, it may just be normal drainage. 

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

peaches_04
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:56 AM
No idea heres a bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dakojayd88
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Well actually, putting breastmilk in the ear is a very powerful antibiotic. it works for any kind  of infection. I trust in the power of nature, and my body. If my child was dyeing obvious;y i would be taking different measures.
Quoting paganmommy4:

Does it smell? My daughter had this problem and had another ear infection.. Yes, while you have the best in milk.. Kids sometimes need an antibiotic to treat ear infections any doctor will tell you that. Giving breast milk doesnt prevent ear infections nor contains the right amount of antibodies to kill the germs causing it. The only good breast milk does is build up his immune system. thats like saying your kid gets the measels and only nursing him, while he could die from complications...

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Stupid question but could the clear/white stuff be the milk you put in his ear?

Some people just have runny ear wax. DD is like that.
I have to clean around/ in her ear every other day. Then sometimes it will build up a little and like pop and it will be really gross in her outer ear. (doesn't hurt her)

My MIL has the same problem. DD has never had an actual ear infection.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)