Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

fluid coming from baby's ear, why??

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday i noticed my baby had sticky stuff all around his ear  (color of baby eawax) Now it is still "leaking" it is more clear with a little whitish color. He is as happy as a clam, no screaming in pain or anything. Any one have this happen to their kids? I think it may have to do with an ear infection. But my daughter, nor i have ever had an ear infection, so i know nothing about them. I don't give my childen antibiotics, so don't suggest i need to give him them. I have the most powerful antibiotic of all, breastmilk.   

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Replies (11-18):
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

If it is burst then it's really not wise to put anything in there.  It's been at least 5 yrs since any of my kids have been on any antibiotics.  But if it was my child with this I would take him into the doctor right away.  A burst ear drum can lead to a loss in hearing.  I personally burst an ear drum as a child, it felt like a relief.  I had chronic ear infections as a child.  My trigger ended up be dairy, I didn't figure out that till I was an adult.  Nuts trigger them in me as well.  I highly recommend this bk No More Amoxicillin by Mary Block http://www.amazon.com/More-Amoxicillin-Preventing-Respiratory-Antibiotics/dp/1575663163/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363353012&sr=8-1&keywords=no+more+amoxicillin

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of 4.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm confused what does the measels have to do with an ear infection.

Technically if your child had the measels nursing would be the only thing you could do, It's viral so antibiotics wouldn't do anything. The only way to die from it is if you let the child's fever get to high and their was no medical attention. Measels isn't as bad as they make it out to be in drama shows. I had them when I was 2.

Quoting dakojayd88:

Well actually, putting breastmilk in the ear is a very powerful antibiotic. it works for any kind  of infection. I trust in the power of nature, and my body. If my child was dyeing obvious;y i would be taking different measures.
Quoting paganmommy4:

Does it smell? My daughter had this problem and had another ear infection.. Yes, while you have the best in milk.. Kids sometimes need an antibiotic to treat ear infections any doctor will tell you that. Giving breast milk doesnt prevent ear infections nor contains the right amount of antibodies to kill the germs causing it. The only good breast milk does is build up his immune system. thats like saying your kid gets the measels and only nursing him, while he could die from complications...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol, that's horrible inaccurate information. First of all, tons of new studies have come out recently (yes by mainstream pharmaceutical loving medical professionals) saying that for MOST ear infections, antibiotics are completely unnecessary because they're mostly viral and will clear up on their own either way. However this is newer information, so your average family doctor is still prescribing antibiotics, especially since parents still expect & demand them.

Your suggestion that a child could die from an ear infection is also completely laughable! I have yet to hear of anything worse than an ear drum bursting from an untreated ear infection (which actually happened to my on-antibiotics-for-it-already nephew...guess what you can't do anything but wait for it to heal itself!)

Lastly your claim that breastmilk can't help a specific infection is also completely against what actual science has proven otherwise. Whenever your child is ill, his saliva on the breast communicates this to your body prompting your body to put antibodies specific to the infection into your milk. So nursing alone CAN help a child through most illnesses and is certainly more than doing nothing.

Quoting paganmommy4:

Does it smell? My daughter had this problem and had another ear infection.. Yes, while you have the best in milk.. Kids sometimes need an antibiotic to treat ear infections any doctor will tell you that. Giving breast milk doesnt prevent ear infections nor contains the right amount of antibodies to kill the germs causing it. The only good breast milk does is build up his immune system. thats like saying your kid gets the measels and only nursing him, while he could die from complications...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dakojayd88
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I agree completely. But i keep in mind that many will go on antibiotics for just a cold. I don't think antibiotics are the solution, considering how much harm the over use of them has done over time. 

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, that's horrible inaccurate information. First of all, tons of new studies have come out recently (yes by mainstream pharmaceutical loving medical professionals) saying that for MOST ear infections, antibiotics are completely unnecessary because they're mostly viral and will clear up on their own either way. However this is newer information, so your average family doctor is still prescribing antibiotics, especially since parents still expect & demand them.

Your suggestion that a child could die from an ear infection is also completely laughable! I have yet to hear of anything worse than an ear drum bursting from an untreated ear infection (which actually happened to my on-antibiotics-for-it-already nephew...guess what you can't do anything but wait for it to heal itself!)

Lastly your claim that breastmilk can't help a specific infection is also completely against what actual science has proven otherwise. Whenever your child is ill, his saliva on the breast communicates this to your body prompting your body to put antibodies specific to the infection into your milk. So nursing alone CAN help a child through most illnesses and is certainly more than doing nothing.

Quoting paganmommy4:

dakojayd88
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM

just wanted to share this http://www.mercola.org/childrens-health/antibiotics-not-the-best-cure-for-ear-infection-in-children/#.UOczHspuVU8.pinterest

Magnolia7
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I see you just joined the group.  Welcome.

Breastmilk has specific antimicrobial properties (meanind antibacterial, antiviral, etc).  In studies, breastmilk applied to cancer cells caused the death of those cells. So topical applications are effective.

No diagnosis of ear infection has been made in the case.  At any rate, no, no child "needs" antibiotics for an ear infection.  Ear infections are often viral, so abx have no effect.  They do weaken the immune system by wiping out good bateria, leaving child open to more infections.  In addition, the overuse of abx for ear infections (which clear just as quickly without the drugs) has been proven to contribute to the superbug problem we have today.  Professional medical agencies are chastising doctors who prescribe them.

I would also encourage you to look for more information on measles, as it is not a clear example of a deadly disease.

Quoting paganmommy4:

dakojayd88
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM
That was a very nice reply, i forget that a lot of this information in unknown, or brand new to some. At one point i didn't know either. And now that you mention breast milk killing cancer, i am very interested and want to research it. How amazing that our bodies produce something so powerful.
JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

That escalated quickly. 

Quoting paganmommy4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)