Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Gently *not* weaning *ETA

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 15 Replies

DD, 12 months, is a boob addict. She's nursing about twice as much as I would like at this point. I have no desire to wean, I want her to self-wean, but I'd really like to encourage her to cut back. I still nurse on demand, and sometimes that's 10+ times a day, not counting the 4-6 times at night. She's currently trying to cut her top teeth, so I'll wait until they are through before trying to cut back. I want to let her nurse as much as she needs while teething, but even when she's not teething, she nurses a ton. And she eats plenty of solid food every day.

I think part of the problem stems from her having reflux when she was real little. I had to nurse her more frequently for shorter periods of time to keep her from spitting up excessively. 

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on gently encouraging her to cut back without weaning.

*ETA: I worked on redirection today and offering water and food and it worked really well. She has nursed HALF of what she normally does in a day. I am SO happy!

So DH and I have decided to start night weaning tonight. What better day than Friday, right? I have read Dr. Gordon's plan, and it sounds great, but I'm a little unsure about where to start. For the first three nights, you're supposed to nurse baby when she wakes up, but not let her fall asleep and put her back down awake. We have her crib in our room and DH usually picks her up and I nurse her, then he takes her back to bed and she is almost always slightly awake when he puts her down. So...should I skip ahead to the next step? Or is she supposed be WIDE awake when she goes back to bed? If that's the case, I won't be able to nurse her anyway because she falls back to sleep within just a couple minutes of nursing....So I guess I answered my own question...But is it really okay to go from nursing every time she wakes up to not nursing at all for 7 hours??

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I would start with night weaning. Dr. Jay Gordon has an awesome method for it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the exact same boat. I know part of it is me using nursing as an easy fix for Isaac's crying and fussiness. I am trying to redirect during the day and also make a sippy cup w water available to him at all times.

After ds cuts his tooth I am thinking of having dh give a bottle of pumped milk or water at bed time and see how that works.
larissalarie
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I would try to offer her solids and/or a cup of water sometimes when she wants to nurse to see if she'll take that instead.

With my 3rd, I kinda felt like a moron when I realized why he still ate so little solids and nursed a ton when he was going on 2! It was because he'd just ask to nurse whenever he was hungry or thirsty. So once I started offering food & drink when he asked to nurse, he usually took that over nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:49 PM
I agree. Just try distracting and redirecting or bringing out a fun activity!

Quoting larissalarie:

I would try to offer her solids and/or a cup of water sometimes when she wants to nurse to see if she'll take that instead.

With my 3rd, I kinda felt like a moron when I realized why he still ate so little solids and nursed a ton when he was going on 2! It was because he'd just ask to nurse whenever he was hungry or thirsty. So once I started offering food & drink when he asked to nurse, he usually took that over nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

YEP nightweaning is great at this age

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I was never good at night weaning.  Not that I don't think it's a good idea, it is but I would try distraction.

mjrex87
by Mindy on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I've seen his website. Have you used his method?

Quoting MaryJarrett:

I would start with night weaning. Dr. Jay Gordon has an awesome method for it.

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Both my dd at 12 months wanted real food, they wold nurse max 4 times a day, by 15 mo they both weaned by them selves, so I don't know what to say, offer more food, we did baby led food, and they just loved loved eating 

mjrex87
by Mindy on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM

BUMP!

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I personally quit nursing my DS during the night when he was a similar age.  So DH took over night duties and would give him a bottle of expressed BM when he needed to eat.  (Neither of us would refuse food to a hungry baby!) Gradually night feedings ended--probably about 15 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)