Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

What baby formula would you recommend?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM
  • 26 Replies
I am friends with a sweet couple who are in the early stages of adopting a baby due this summer.

They are very natural/organic eco-friendly minded and have asked my input on the formula topic.

They will not be able to bf, but are working on finding donor milk sources.

I'm really not aware of much about the different formula that's available now bc 10 yrs ago with my first I didn't know better so I used similac, and dd2 is 2 & still nursing...

I thought maybe y'all could give me some info/resources to find more info on this that I can relay to them??

TIA
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM

The woman I donate to has relactated... That's not possible here?  She uses an SNS to feed and stimulate while her milk comes in.  Have they checked out HM4HB and Eats on Feets on Facebook? They could also contact the LLL in their area and have them ask around if anyone would like to donate.

no help on the formula.  Sorry : ( I know nothing about it.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:10 AM

With my ds we used a prescription formula (he is very special needs)

With my dd we used Baby's Only Here  They call it a toddler formula since they believe that all babies should be bf, but is is comparable in all ways to standard formula. 

themissheather
by Heather on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I don't know. My only suggestion is looking into relactation.
secondboy2012
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:14 AM
4 moms liked this
Raw milk formula has been wonderful since I only breastfed two months. Weston A. Price foundation. Google it, there is tons of info.
TotallyConfused
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
They have been checking with hm4hm I'm not sure if they've checked eats onfeets or with LLL but that's a great idea, thank you I'll definitely share that with them as well!

I'm not exactly sure what their reasons are for not being able to bf, I didn't ask bc it was via e-mail & I'm going to see them this weekend so I thought that'd be easier to ask casually in person without sounding rude kwim?

also, the partner who emailed me is preciously neurotic and as she put it "likes to plan too far in advance"
TotallyConfused
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Wow! Y'all are quick ;-)

Thank you for the suggestions I'm writing them down now
LaideBug
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I had to supplement my supply for a bit at the beginning of the year and we used Earths Best Organic formula. There were 3 kinds at the natural market we shop at; regular formula, sensitive tummy formula (we used this one), and a soy based formula. It worked well for us when we needed it.
jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I would suggest what everyone else has! Many adoptive moms have BF by preparing months in advance for baby by pumping. I suggest donor milk too before any formula! I've seen lots of babies who were adopted and had no formula ever! They had all donor milk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

LLL cannot recommend and does not endorse milk sharing, but they will be able to help if they decide to induce lactation, etc

Quoting TotallyConfused:

They have been checking with hm4hm I'm not sure if they've checked eats onfeets or with LLL but that's a great idea, thank you I'll definitely share that with them as well!

I'm not exactly sure what their reasons are for not being able to bf, I didn't ask bc it was via e-mail & I'm going to see them this weekend so I thought that'd be easier to ask casually in person without sounding rude kwim?

also, the partner who emailed me is preciously neurotic and as she put it "likes to plan too far in advance"

littlelambe2
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM

There were some ladies at my local lll who offered donating breastmilk to a mom in need. It doesn't hurt to ask. 

Quoting PoodleMum:

LLL cannot recommend and does not endorse milk sharing, but they will be able to help if they decide to induce lactation, etc

Quoting TotallyConfused:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)