Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

PCOS and post-pregnancy fears :( PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 30 Replies

I was diagnosed with PCOS in April of last year. Before I got pregnant this time, I had gone on a gluten-free, coffee free (this was huge for me), and low sugar diet. I already ate healthy before, but I made an extra effort to pay attention to sweet/carb cravings and eat a low GI diet. I was doing really well, felt better, and lost about 5-6lbs (which is about what I'd gained shortly before being diagnosed, and got me back down to MY normal of about 118lbs).

I've never been concerned about weight gain in previous pregnancies (always gaining between 33-35 lbs) or weight loss afterward since it has always come off easily. But this time I'm terrified. I have found it really hard since being pregnant not to eat wheat, and I started drinking coffee again (granted, I keep it to 2 cups a day, and it's only half-caf), but I still feel like I'm failing myself. When I was off gluten and coffee, I had a lot less sugar and carb cravings, and I notice now that those have come back. And it's a huge struggle to avoid my triggers (coffee and wheat). So far this pregnancy I really haven't gained much weight (as of Feb 22nd I'd gained .5lbs from starting weight, and 3.5lbs from my lowest weight). I feel like I'm probably up another 3-4 lbs from then and I'm almost 23 wks now (which does NOT concern me). I'm just worried about letting my cravings get out of control. I want to go back to how I was eating, but am finding it incredibly difficult. I just want a freaking sandwich lol. I have been good with sugar though. I try to be very aware of my sugar cravings and limit my sweets. And I'm so scared that after this baby is born, my body is going to revolt and all my PCOS symptoms are gonna come back with a vengence :( It seems like from what I've heard this is what happens to a lot of women. I want to do as much now to avoid my symptoms from getting out of control after pregnancy, and to lessen the chances of having trouble losing weight. I just want them to go away forever :(

Hoping someone else understands my fears, since I know there's a few women in here with PCOS.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole2884
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:54 PM

my biggest fear is not the pcos symptoms its the chances of gestational diabetes, thats my big fear, for that reason i do try to limit my junk intake an no caffeine, im struggling but now that im in the second trimester its been better.

VintageWife
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm off the caffeine except once a week I drink a few sips if the dizziness gets unbearable (I deal with orthostatic hypotension too). My first pregnancy was huge weight gains. The last two were very low gains. This one I'm still losing. I don't gain till the end usually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I've never had risk factors for GD and have had three previous healthy pregna cies but yes, the thought has crossed my mind. Which is another reason I am trying to really watch what kind of foods I'm putting in my body. I want to stay as low risk as possible.

Quoting nicole2884:

my biggest fear is not the pcos symptoms its the chances of gestational diabetes, thats my big fear, for that reason i do try to limit my junk intake an no caffeine, im struggling but now that im in the second trimester its been better.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I understand your concerns.  Hopefully more people will have some good advice for you.

nicki.hemingway
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It is my understanding that GD is rare in PCOS since we typically run "lower" than average sugar wise.  My blood sugar never went over 110 with any of my pregnancies. 

Quoting BaileysMom9:

I've never had risk factors for GD and have had three previous healthy pregna cies but yes, the thought has crossed my mind. Which is another reason I am trying to really watch what kind of foods I'm putting in my body. I want to stay as low risk as possible.

Quoting nicole2884:

Please excuse my typos. I baby wear at the computer and I have to type around a bobbing head.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Hmmm... I've never heard that before.  Actually from research I've done, insulin resistance often coincides with PCOS.  Insulin resistance left untreated can lead to diabetes.  Your body becomes less and less sensitive to insulin, causing higher levels of glucose to build up in the blood before being absorbed by the body tissues.  I've never heard of low blood sugar in PCOS. 

In any case, I think anyone with PCOS can benefit by eating as if they had Insulin Resistance.  Since diabetes is a risk in women with PCOS, and IR is a precurser to diabetes, I figure it just makes sense. 

Quoting nicki.hemingway:

It is my understanding that GD is rare in PCOS since we typically run "lower" than average sugar wise.  My blood sugar never went over 110 with any of my pregnancies. 

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Quoting nicole2884:

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Hugs! I am addicted to sugar! I notice the more sugar i eat the more u crave it, so.what i do is keep it out if the house. If i want somethng sweet i will have to make it (and i dont keep sugar in the.house, only fruit, honey etc).

I have never been addicted to caffeine, but i do like.coffee, so i also that out of the house.
BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sugar has definitely been a hard one for me the past year or so.  Before that, I was not a big sweets person.  Of course I liked ice cream and stuff like that, but I didn't CRAVE it.  I do now.  And yes, the more sugar I have the more I crave, so I really try and limit it.  It's a nasty, vicious cycle.  I've noticed too that if I limit or avoid gluten, my sugar cravings almost completely go away.  Coffee for me is the same.  I could care less about the caffeine, but I love coffee.  I love the smell, the taste, and the routine of making my coffee in the morning... makes me happy, and makes everything right with the world ;)  Addiciton qualities maybe lol? 

I like your idea... It's easier when it's not in the house.  If only I could get hubby to agree!

Quoting Precious333:

Hugs! I am addicted to sugar! I notice the more sugar i eat the more u crave it, so.what i do is keep it out if the house. If i want somethng sweet i will have to make it (and i dont keep sugar in the.house, only fruit, honey etc).

I have never been addicted to caffeine, but i do like.coffee, so i also that out of the house.

Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Lol! My dh rarely goes.shopping, thankfully!

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Sugar has definitely been a hard one for me the past year or so.  Before that, I was not a big sweets person.  Of course I liked ice cream and stuff like that, but I didn't CRAVE it.  I do now.  And yes, the more sugar I have the more I crave, so I really try and limit it.  It's a nasty, vicious cycle.  I've noticed too that if I limit or avoid gluten, my sugar cravings almost completely go away.  Coffee for me is the same.  I could care less about the caffeine, but I love coffee.  I love the smell, the taste, and the routine of making my coffee in the morning... makes me happy, and makes everything right with the world ;)  Addiciton qualities maybe lol? 

I like your idea... It's easier when it's not in the house.  If only I could get hubby to agree!

Quoting Precious333:

BaileysMom9
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM

MIne doesn't typically either (thank goodness or we'd be stocked much better with treats), but he's an Asst Manager for Walmart, and sometimes he picks things up if he sees a sale on them (mostly candy, which thankfully is not really my thing, but I'll take it if I'm desperate lol).... lets just say I despise of Halloween, Christmas, Valentines and Easter time bc of the candy haha :)

Quoting Precious333:

Lol! My dh rarely goes.shopping, thankfully!

Quoting BaileysMom9:

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN