Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Mothers who co-sleep help! **update***

Posted by   + Show Post

My ten month old DD is not sleeping! She will fall asleep and then roll over and start baning her head on the wall, kick the wall, crawl around and cry with her eyes closed. If I am lucky she will sleep for two hours but usually its only an hour before we are starting all over again. I am losing my mind. Plus during the day time she gets an hour total nap at the most. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Trying her out in her own bed is not an option at the moment since our crib is in storage (long story) Has anyone else delt with a baby that keeps themselves awake at all costs??? 

The last two nights I have been laying down with her at 7:30. The first night it took an hour and a half to put her to sleep and she only woke up once or twice. The second night she fell asleep within an hour but woke up 3 or 4 times. I will try the essenctial oils that were suggested too. Thank you ladies!

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
conejoazul
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I really appreciate your comments.  We´re in Mexico, so the health system is organized a little different here, but we have (finally!) been referred (for a May appointment) to a mental health hospital in our network to have our son evaluated.  I´ve been ending up on webpages related to SDP, ADD, autism (and brushing, deep pressure massage, OT....)  for basically two years now based on DS´s patterns of behaviors.  I certainly don´t mind to find out it is something else, but at this point, I´m mentally prepared that something in that "area" of sensory disorders is what is eating at him.  I haven´t had any luck with the brushing technique so far, nor the joint compression massages (I´ve only seen them demonstrated on YouTube though, but I feel like I am doing them right) - DS just hasn´t been receptive.  I am wondering did your son respond to that right away? DS is so touch sensitive the only area I can OCCASIONALLY massage is his feet.

Quoting jconney80:

This is how my two younger kids are. Both of them don't sleep. My son is more severe. We learned it was sensory problems. He has an autism spectrum disorder and my daughter seems to be the same way. It's pretty bad. My son used to fight sleep for hours and hours. He was/ is so high needs and AP parented from the beginning.

Hopefully its nothing extreme and just a phase. If you don't see it get better you might want to check out sensory issues or look into food allergies.

Try some deep pressure massages and look up what brushing is on Youtube. You can brush them and do joint compressions to release oxytocin before bed and see if that helps. Also give lots of chances to get exercise. Hope you get some sleep soon. Sleep problems really stink!

Quoting conejoazul:

Our son (3 in July) has always co-slept, been APed six ways from Sunday, and is certainly high-needs.  Co-sleeping and nighttime closeness can be good things, but they don´t address all needs. Our Ds fights sleep at all costs and has since birth. Finally our provider is starting to take our concerns seriously, but we don´t have a solution yet (only testing dates). If you feel certain it isn´t teething or eating related and continues more than a month, I would make sure to have a diary of the pattern and then begin discussing it with your pedi. Sleep is too crucial to young children for it to be interrupted on a regular basis.  You have probably already done this, but also I would time how her nighttime pee-pees (if any) fit into her pattern of wakefulness.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
do you drink caffeine? My son crawls and does weird stuff in his sleep if I drink one caffeinated drink. He also is hard to get down or take naps if I drink one soda.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aykayoh
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Or lavender :)

Quoting Mrs.Salz:

I would try homeopathic chamomilla.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

is she breastfed?

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Yes we ebf and she is still 90% breastfed, 10% food. I have been trying to up her food intake during the day, but she is inconsitent and has days where she only wants breastmilk. 

Quoting 3kidz123:

is she breastfed?

Mrs.Salz
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Glad things are going better!

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I know my son stopped being able to get a good night sleep with co sleeping when he got a little older.  He needed his crib. 

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

thats what I am worried is the issue. We can't get her crib right now its 400 miles away in storage. We will have it back in June. Until then I am kinda stuck. We can't afford to buy anything right now. Maybe I will get lucky and find something cheap in the mean time. 

Quoting JoJoBean8:

I know my son stopped being able to get a good night sleep with co sleeping when he got a little older.  He needed his crib. 

xxMommaof_2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I co-sleep and my son has gone through fussy sleep phases. Im pretty sure he was teething though. Good luck!

Sarah725
by Group Mod - Sarah on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Thanks for the update :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)