Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

teeth and solid food = no more nursing

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

My sister commented on a link i posted on facebook stating that she disagrees with babies breastfeeding past the time that they have teeth and can eat solid foods. I know she will not change her mind about this now, but i might be able to plant the seed. (she once said she'd never have a VBAC and is now considering it after things i have posted and said).

Any links supporting full term nursing would be appreciated! Thanks!

by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Show her the world health organization or the UNICEF one, they talk a lot about the pros of breastfeeding, even untill 2-3 years

jconney80
by Group Mod on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm I'm sure Kellymom.com has some info!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM
4 moms liked this
Ask her if she thinks it's important to a 1 year old's diet to drink cow milk? Most say it's very important, then ask why human milk wouldn't be even more appropriate?
Ask if bottle (or breast) fed babies who get teeth at 3 or 4 months old should be weaned from bottles and breast, especially if their parents don't delay solids until the recommended 6+ months?

Breastmilk provides important nutrition for young children. Most kids don't get that opportunity and their diet is instead supplemented with antibiotic & hormone filled cow breastmilk or things filled with artificial nutrients like toddler formula & Pediasure. If average toddlers/preschoolers didn't NEED supplemental liquid nutrition those products wouldn't exist and the federal government would be shelling out millions buying multiple gallons of milk per month for every qualifying kid up to the age of 5.

Just some things to maybe point out, I know you know :-)

Kellymom.com has a lot of info on the benefits of extended breastfeeding. That's where I found my info and courage to do it when I was first learning about the whole concept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Also, the AAP recommends 12 months as MINIMUM for bf, very few kids don't have at least some teeth by then
The WHO & the American College of Family Physicians (and most other major medical organizations) all recommend TWO YEARS as the minimum. That right there shows research must prove it's highly beneficial or mainstream organizations wouldn't recommend it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joyful_mama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
What is her alternative? Formula? Cow's milk? Those things are inferior to breast milk for human babies so why give it to them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
graycalico
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:52 PM
People's ideas are so weird to me. My ds got his first four teeth at three months old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jaylyndenae
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM

If I had to stop breastfeeding just because of a few teeth then that would mean only getting to breastfeed both of my boys until they were 3 months old! How sad that would have been for all of us!  I nursed by oldest until he was 14 months,  and my youngest is still nursing at 8 months. That special bond that you build with nursing a babe is just the best, plus you can't get a more nutritious meal. Neither of them has had any type of illness either. I thank the breastmilk!

catholicmamamia
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 7:12 PM
1 mom liked this

WHO recommends two years minimum.. direct her to http://www.kellymom.com/  

Crunchy Moms ~ La Leche League ~ Natural Family Planning
                     ♥♥♥♥ Click the title to join us in these great groups ♥♥♥

JoJoBean8
by Group Mod on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:10 AM

So those babies that are born with teeth shouldn't bm according to her?

outstandingLove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Okay ladies. She did say **and** so that would mean needing both teeth and solid foods. not just one.
That's still too early of course, but no, she's not saying babies who teeth early just don't get the breast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)