Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural Birth & Parenting Natural Birth & Parenting

Need advice ASAP!! **Update Long**

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 36 Replies

Okay, whole story:

I had an 8:00am NST this morning. The nurse was not my regular nurse and hadn't worked with patients in a long time (her words, not mine). So we do the weight check and the pee in a cup to check for protein (normally, I use one of the strips and check it myself too, but decided not to this morning-first stupid move on my part). Then we go to the room where the nurse proceeds to tell me that she got the crappy machine and that I would have to hold the monitor down the whole time... Yay. She also tells me that my doctor wants to check me (I informed her that I haven't been checked and don't want to be checked, but she just wouldn't drop it, so I changed into my wrap-yes I have my own-just to get her to drop it, knowing I don't have to be checked if I don't want to be.  She gets me hooked up to the crappy machine, then is like "oh, I forgot to do your BP check." Note that by this point I am super irritated. So, it was high (not surprising really because I was upset).

Anyway, I sit in the room getting more upset because the baby keeps kicking the monitor off, I am in a really uncomfortable position on my back (which is sore from me tackling a rooster that tried to attack my son yesterday), holding this monitor in an odd position. The doctor came in to check my BP and it was still high (go figure), so upstairs to L&D it is. She also told me that today I had a little protein in my urine (also could be be explained by the physical activity/injury from yesterday). And of course, this was the only time I hadn't checked it myself, so I don't know.

I got up there about 9:00am, and they told me that I needed to be monitored for two hours on the machine to get a good NST for baby and make sure my BP went down. Still, on my back in pain. I got it down in the 130's by breathing, but couldn't get it lower because I was in pain. Finally at 11:00 (with your advice) I asked to change positions. My BP immediately dropped to 127/82 when I switched positions. The doctor finally came up at noon (after three hours instead of two like they said) (but I'd only had two lower readings at that point). She wanted to keep monitoring to make sure it stayed low. Additionally if I didn't want to stay and be induced I would have to do a 24 hour protein urine thing. Fine. I requested water and food. I was allowed jello and a tiny thing of cranberry juice and ice chips...

I only cried once today and it was right after she left, but I got myself under control and got my BP back down before the next reading.

At 1:00 after an hour of normal BP, I asked to be let go since all looked good with baby and my BP was fine. Well, they said they'd page the doctor. At 1:30, I asked again. They told me they would page her again.

Finally at 2:00, I told them no more. I would sit and wait on the doctor, but no more monitors, no more BP cuff going off every 10 minutes. I'm done.

By 2:15, they had jugs for my urine protein thing and discharge papers ready to go.

I guess I should have just told them I was done at 1:00.

Really, I do think the doctor wanted to induce, but knows I don't want to, so was trying to give me options to be able to be able to leave... Benefit of the doubt...I try to believe the best about people, I really do.

Thank you for all of your help! Hopefully I'll just go into labor tonight so I don't have to deal with this crap again. (I have to turn in my pee by 2:20 and they want to monitor me some more then tomorrow. Ugh!)

Oringinal Post:

Im 40+5 today.

So I'm sitting for another nst this morning (after 40 weeks you have to go in every other day for nst) and the nurse has my BP at 142/98. It's never been above 120/80, and usually runs between 110/78-120/80.
So, how high is that? Is it dangerous or something that could be remedied with some time off my feet?
I don't feel bad and have zero swelling.
They've got me upstairs in l&d and BP is staying high. Ugh!
What are my options? Anyone know if I can refuse induction today?
Alternative induction methods I can request? I let the ob check me today in hopes of being released, I'm at 3cm.
Please help!

Ps-I think part of the reason it's high is because they have me in a terribly uncomfortable position, I'm hungry, and stressed about being induced. My back is killing me!

Also join us in these other great groups!

Crunchy Moms *Raising Intact Boys*  Babies Love Boobies

Have a March 2013 baby on the way? Join us in

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Hugs mama!

I will look.to see how to.lower bp.

I just want to warn you though. My sister was admitted to yge hospital.on her edd for a nonstress test. There a few concerns, but she did pass the nonstress test. The ob wanted.yo.induce anyways becauae baby was measuring big. My sister didnt want to ans asked if she could leave. Legally they couls not hold her, however the ob said if she left the insurance wouldnt cover two hospital.visits and so when she did come in to have the baby that they would have to pay out of pocket.

I will pray and see what i can find t get your bp.lower. meanwhile ask for a meal!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Ok for hp

Visualizations, words of affirmation, biofeedback,

Garlic, parsley, and onions (try raw)
Cucumber, cucumber juice, over ripse and yellowish ia best
Juiced lemon or.lime
Hops tea
Passionflower capsules or drops
Skullcap infusion
Hawthorn berries infusion
MaryJarrett
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this
That Dr was using a common scare tactic. You insurance, even medicaid, still pays if you leave AMA. It's a very common falsity they put on you.

Quoting Precious333:

Hugs mama!

I just want to warn you though. My sister was admitted to yge hospital.on her edd for a nonstress test. There a few concerns, but she did pass the nonstress test. The ob wanted.yo.induce anyways becauae baby was measuring big. My sister didnt want to ans asked if she could leave. Legally they couls not hold her, however the ob said if she left the insurance wouldnt cover two hospital.visits and so when she did come in to have the baby that they would have to pay out of pocket.

I will pray and see what i can find t get your bp.lower. meanwhile ask for a meal!
Precious333
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I was wondering that.

Quoting MaryJarrett:

That Dr was using a common scare tactic. You insurance, even medicaid, still pays if you leave AMA. It's a very common falsity they put on you.

Quoting Precious333:

Hugs mama!

Clemency3
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Awww I understand how you feel. I had to be induced with my first because I was a week late. They have to do it for the sake of the baby. I guess use this as your first experience that you can't control everything and just think about how happy you will be when you see your baby for the first time. Sounds like you are very stressed so I would do anything you can to destress and that can help your BP. If your BP was really bad the nurse would have said something so I wouldn't worry too much. My biggest suggestion is try to calm down a bit as hard as it is. good luck

Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I hope you get the birth you want but you do have to relax and not stress. You probably wont get them to give you food. So if you're hungry maybe have someone bring you something. I was induced at 39 weeks and it didnt take so i made them stop.

I wish you luck. I know its hard dealing with doctors and their machines.
ceckyl
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM
2 moms liked this
I nst every other day? Good lord I would have skipped that. Both my babies were born at 42 weeks. There is no harm for the baby. It's best for them to decide when to be born :)

It's normal for your Bp to rise towards the end of your pregnancy, but no, that isn't too high.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Switched positions and BP immediately went to 126/72 now that I'm not in pain from the position I was in!
cemcnair
by Courtney on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Wtf! They want me to stay another two hours with no good or water even though my labs were fine! Now I'm pissed which doesn't help with BP!!!
farmlovin
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
**HUGS** I'm so sorry they are being that way! I hope you get out of there soon! But on another note: YAY!!! Almost time to meet you new baby. I just started taking J & E out on my own (I'm a slacker! E's almost 14 months now, haha). I'm so excited for you! I remember back when you were still thinking about trying to get pregnant again. :)
Quoting cemcnair:

Wtf! They want me to stay another two hours with no good or water even though my labs were fine! Now I'm pissed which doesn't help with BP!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN